Author Topic: hurst cross football ground  (Read 10233 times)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
hurst cross football ground
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:18 PM »
i spent lots of time watching games therebefore the war and played on it a few times.what is there now  cheers kennetho

Vanessa

Re: hurst cross football ground
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Its still there.

Vanessa

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:42 PM »
thanks vanessa   when we watch the games today we see pretty coloured football boots orange red and blue but the most important thing of all is the foot thats in the shoe cheers .kennetho

Vanessa

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 03:36 PM »

My dads cousin, Robert (Bob) Dixon played for Ashton United, he signed for them in 1949 but his career was cut short by National service. Before then he was a junior at both Manchester United and City but lacked the commitment, he was considered a talented player. After National service he never really got back into football and played for small clubs including the one at the National Gas Engine Co. He eventually became a fitter at British Rail. The Ashton United players database had him listed twice, Bob Dixon and R. Dixon, I was able to confirm that these two players were the same man. He died at the age of 47yrs. in 1977.

Vanessa

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:25 PM »
hi  iwent to school with a lad that played for ashton  united robert fawely i played for stayley bridge celtic res. in the then manchester league for a short time cheers kennetho

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:28 AM »
In 1952 my grandfather had a season ticket at Ashton United and he got me and other members of the family seats in the stand for a match. It was just after the Lynmouth flood disaster had occurred and they sent buckets around the ground so the crowd could contribute to the flood relief. Centre forward on that day was Stuart Diamond.

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50 AM »
  I was there that day too,Son of Nomad.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Hi
     I watched them when they played Halifax in the first round of the FA cup I cant remember the date but my mates who worked at the National came and got me from work at lunch time. Stuart Diamond scored a great header gee he could jump                       herby

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:58 AM »
  I was there that day too,Son of Nomad.

I didn't see you Nan - you should have waved.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Another memory.
In about 1956 I went to watch Ashton United one day and their goalkeeper called Cunningham. Although he was a tall chap he was wearing a jersey that was way too big for him. It came down almost to his knees and the sleeves were covering his hands. He looked really comical. During the match the ball was sent back to him along the ground and he seemed to have it covered. As it got a few feet away it must have hit a divot because it shot up over his shoulder and into the net. And yes, we did jeer! Something similar happened to an England goalie a few years ago.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 09:54 PM »
speaking of goalkeepers i wasthere just before the war when hurst f.c. played and the goalkeeper i think was called gregory he kicked the ball out of his area it bouncedonce in the in the other goal area and went over the crosbarand that was the old heavy leather ball. also during the war the army that was stationd at the ladysmith played their home games there i think it was the r.e.m.e.and they had a pretty good team ..cheers kennetho

Lewy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19 AM »
Kenneth,
I believe the Army contingent at Ladysmith Barracks in the fifties was The Royal Army Pay Corps.
Iff I'm wrong pl excuse my fuddled brain.

Lewy
you can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

Lewy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Kennetho,
My auntie Sally owned and ran the chip shop at Kings Cross, 1952ish to 1955ish.  She lived at 14 Nook Lane.  We, Mum, Dad, me and my sister Beryl, lived in the flat over the chippie.
I went for a trial but was unsucessful after a friendly with the youth team from Bolton Wanderers.  Seem to recall Davis Broad was picked though.  My cousin, Geoffrey Grayson, played for Ashton United.
My idol at the time was Stuart Diamond.  What a player.

Lewy
you can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06 PM »
He was one of the best forwards they ever had. The goalkeeper Son of Nomad mentioned in the long sleeved jersey was Bernard Cunningham and was with Ashton for several seasons in the late 50`s. He was fantastic at saving penalties and was reputed to have saved more than any goalkeeper in the country during his spell with Ashton. He was a great chap off the field too as I knew him very well. My Dad was secretary of the club for several years so I knew most of the players from that time.