Author Topic: REFERENDUM  (Read 5506 times)

greeny

• View Profile
REFERENDUM
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:40 PM »
HI are you all set for the referendum on 5th  may i see it will be open an extra hour for the local election to 7am till 10pm have you had your leaflet yet ,more like a boxing match round 1 round 2? i dont think it will be a good turn out but they can always go to round 3 :D

Assheton

• View Profile
Re: REFERENDUM
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Shame they wouldn't give us the referendum we wanted, on the Lisbon treaty. Mind you, they knew which way we would have voted so we didn't stand a chance of having it. I nearly fell over the other week when Baroness Ashton, (no relation thank God!!) said that accountability, the rule of law and democracy were at the heart of the EU!!! Which planet is she on I wonder?
The Black Knight rides again!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:49 AM »
hi even if it go through you will still be able to vote the old way by just putting one x on the voting slip  :)

Ashtonian54

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:14 PM »
My English teacher taught me that there are more fools than wise men!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46 PM »
One thing I can't understand is why one person's second and subsequent choices carry the same weight as another person's first choice.

Good question, Bill. It would make more sense for us to put 1, 2 & 3 against our first three preferences, and for those candidates to get something like 10 points, 6 points and 2 points towards their totals.

A big snag I can see for AV or for any of the suggested alternatives is that I am not likely to want to support any candidate or party other than that which will be my first choice.
Martin

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:03 PM »
hi they use the new voting system a v ,in australia i wonder how it works there, what worries me if it gets the vote there could be more hung paliaments , and after the con dems i think that will put a lot off of voters saying yes to a v  :D

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Hi Greeny,

I am desperately trying to get past Cleggers in my thinking, but in view of the fact that the Tory voting demographic is no higher than 30% nationally -  how annoying for Cameron and Gideon if it were a YES vote.  Their natural assumption of power may be demolished forever.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 12:59 PM »
If anyone has applied for a postal vote, check the contents of your envelope carefully - my referendum voting paper was omitted from mine!
Martin

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:37 PM »
I'm finding it hard to get enthused by the referendum. I've been reading a history book that covers the late 19th century and what's struck me is how independent M.Ps were and how they stood up & spoke up for their values. It's hard to imagine such daring/adventurous types being in Parliament nowadays.  The present lot, with a few notable exceptions, are career politicians who are gagged/whipped into line and none of them dare deviate from the party line. This makes Parliament a dull old place and, whatever voting system we have, that won't change.
However I will probably vote 'yes' for AV as, although I have voted in every election since I was 21, I have rarely seen my vote count. I have either lived in safe Tory seats or, in Stockport in 1979 I voted Labour and Tom McNally was duly elected. What did he do but defect to the newly formed SDP? In the local elections last year I leafletted for the Lib Dem candidate as I thought he had a chance against the Conservative incumbent. He was elected and then crossed the floor and joined the Tories.  Grrrrr!!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:55 PM »

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27 AM »
I'm finding it hard to get enthused by the referendum. I've been reading a history book that covers the late 19th century and what's struck me is how independent M.Ps were and how they stood up & spoke up for their values. It's hard to imagine such daring/adventurous types being in Parliament nowadays.  The present lot, with a few notable exceptions, are career politicians who are gagged/whipped into line and none of them dare deviate from the party line. This makes Parliament a dull old place and, whatever voting system we have, that won't change.
However I will probably vote 'yes' for AV as, although I have voted in every election since I was 21, I have rarely seen my vote count. I have either lived in safe Tory seats or, in Stockport in 1979 I voted Labour and Tom McNally was duly elected. What did he do but defect to the newly formed SDP? In the local elections last year I leafletted for the Lib Dem candidate as I thought he had a chance against the Conservative incumbent. He was elected and then crossed the floor and joined the Tories.  Grrrrr!!

Ah yes, the Nineteenth Century one of the greatest epochs in our history!! Back then MP's were not paid salaries of course, so no career politicians like the Millibands who have never had a real job or had much experience of life. Straight from Oxford and into full time jobs in the Labour party.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Has Cameron or Osborne ever had a 'real' job?  I doubt it!!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Ashtonian54

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:05 PM »

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Has Cameron or Osborne ever had a 'real' job?  I doubt it!!

Have the brothers Miliband?

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Excellent result in the referendum! The commonsense of the great British public has prevailed! Very bad day yesterday for Milibandwagon and Clegg!!!