Author Topic: good hope mill  (Read 5113 times)

michaela

• View Profile
good hope mill
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Can anyone help me with any infomation on good hope mill ashton, I'm looking for any of the history as to when it was first opened & when it changed to Nixons leather works. I do know it was built in 1824 owner Goerge Nixon, were there any work related deaths did any children die their, were there any fires what I'm trying to do is piece as much infomation trying to make some sort of sense to its supposed hauntings.

Does anyone have any infomation as to what was on that spot of land before the mill. 

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: good hope mill
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Some information about Ashton's mills is here:
http://www.ashton-under-lyne.com/history/cotton.htm

Good Hope Mill was built in 1824, and is the oldest spinning mill in Ashton to survive intact.

Before the mill was built the area was open agricultural land on the edge of Ashton Moss. As Ashton started to be developed a grid of streets was laid out and the mill was built on one of the empty plots. The original 1824 building was less than half of the present size but was greatly extended around 1840.

I'm not sure where you get the information about it being owned by George Nixon. The first owners were James and Jonathan Andrew. It later passed to Aaron and Stephen Andrew. From 1883 the mill was owned by James Dyson and later by Tattersalls, Bridge Street Mill Company and then a Mr Ruttenau, who bought the mill in 1895 and converted it into  a leather factory.

There were no major fires although the original 1824 part of the building was of a non-fireproof design, with timber supports and wooden floors. I have no information about Nixons or about hauntings.
Martin

michaela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Thank you for the infomation Mark thats helped me alot, as for george nixon owning the leather mill I think someone has been texting there infomation wrong on one of the ashton history websites.
Martin have you come across on any info of children working in the mill ???

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:02 AM »
Mark? I don't think I know of an Ashton history website. Would you care to say which site it was? It sounds interesting.

It was common for children to work at least part time in the mills. You will find a lot of information on this website:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/IRchild.htm
Martin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Hi
          Ive just been reading about the Child Labour My Father worked in the mill half a day when he was going to school my Dad was born in the 1890s so it was till going on in the 20 century. Good conditions for the workers wasn't it. It makes you wonder why they formed workers unions doesn't it    herby

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:48 PM »
hi i just looking back i worked at nixons leather works in the 60s its owners were not called nixons it was a family from stockport  area they were called marsdens they also had a leather works in stockport near the bus station, but kept the name george nixons ,of the ashton branch there was a street running between the leather works in ashton  and before they built a extension on to the leather works there was a row of terraced houses , i heard it said there was a house fire ,with a family that were killed there , one of the survivors it left her with a breakdown and times when i worked there in the 60s she use to stand at the end of the street shouting , she was a character in the henry square area and often seen shouting ,sad story

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 01:48 PM »
hi  i saw one of my old mates that use to work there in the  60s he seems to recall the lady that use to go round shouting he thinks she was called elsie

Ashtonian54

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07 PM »
That's interesting greeny about the shouting lady. As children we saw her often on Katherine Street but had been told to be kind and not make fun of her as she had suffered a terrible tragedy.  Fancy someone else remembering that! 'The lady who shouted".