Author Topic: EGYPT  (Read 10432 times)

greeny

• View Profile
EGYPT
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:47 AM »
HI whats going on in the middle east again it started in tunisia now egypt they must have had enough of how the country was run for them to demonstrate as they have done , the frightening thing is who will fill the gap when they bring down there government , could this be the start of the arab uprising , among the arab states as human rights and equality in many of the arab states is far from democratic ,

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
Re: EGYPT
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Feels exactly like when the Russian states wanted autonomy.  Started with Poland and the Political Geography changed forever.

It's looking relatively all too easy, and I do hope this can start an end to oppression, but whatever the outcome, there will be a lot of pain in the whole region before things settle down.  Unfortunately whatever rises to the top again eventually becomes corrupt.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

sooty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:40 PM »
Yup! looks as though their politicians are just as corrupt as ours.Hope they manage to keep the looters away from the museum in Cairo.

Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03 PM »
Let's hope this upheaval doesn't close the Suez canal. If tankers have to be rerouted, we'll all suffer the consequences.   :-\
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:24 PM »
My friend from work flies out there on thursday for her holiday. Although she's not in the main problem areas I wouldn't fancy being told to stay within the hotel for the duration.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:49 PM »
This is huge !!! Egypt has a population of about 80 million, the ruling regime and their friends have all the money , while the vast majority are dirt poor , if anyone (in the past ) tried to critise the regime , they would be arrested , tortured and killed .There is no opposition to the regime , it wasn,t allowed .
 Its very dangerous for the west because Egypt as Denise mentions has the Suez canal , and any disruption there will be bad for the  west , also Egypt is the only country in the region that has a peace agreement with Israel , and has been very tough in keeping Gaza closed .
 The amazing thing is that its ordinary people who are out there demonstrating and being killed , but they have gone past the fear barrier and they will get rid of the regime that has persecuted them for over 30 years .
 It seems to be a domino affect , as for here we have the same type of dictatorship , and no one in the streets is mentioning Egypt , but people are really happy for them , and if the president has any sense he,ll start giving the people some feedom before it gets to the same situation as Egypt .
If you want to watch whats happening , watch Al Jazeerah , they have their corespontants right in the middle of Tahreer square where the biggest demo is on right now .
The egyptians want democracy , not an Islamic state , so the west should put their money where their mouth is !!! Viva Egypt!!!
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:28 PM »
The USA have done just that for years, Pam, for one unsurprising reason!!

LINK
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Is it going to be a deck of cards thing,Tunisia,Egypt ?the news last night  mentioned Jordan ,Lebanon,Syria.
I wouldn't like to have been around an Israeli dinner table last night. 

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:48 AM »
hi i see mubarak is to stand down at the next election  , will this be good enough to ease the peoples revolution , i dont think so i think they want him out now like tunisia , reading the paper this morning there is unrest in jordan to , also syria a big demo is planned for damascus on friday and saturday,  keep safe pam. i was wondering when the unrest will start here in the uk .what ever is happening in the middle east i hope it brings prosperity and peace. and most of all freedom of speech equality and human rights and demoracy without other countries telling them what and what not to do

sooty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12 PM »
See that Israel has changed it,s facebook settings for Egypt from friends to complicated.Syria and Iran have added Egypt as friends.
Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Greeny , I won,t be going anywhere near any demos , actually thats the first I heard of it .If there  are any demos they will be all pro Assad , all staged and organised by the ruling party . Facebook , U tube , twitter are all banned over here ( security reasons don,t u know!!!)but people are setting up proxies so that they can use them .
 I was feeling very depressed when i saw the pro Mubarak supporters attacking the pro democracy supporters, a lot of people have been killed and I expect more violence tonight , if it all goes bad there will be terrible consequences for the demonstrators even after they return home , their faces have been seen and u can expect the dreaded secret police to be knocking down doors in the middle of the night . As for the Israelis , I hear one Israeli lady on the news  saying if they want democracy they should have it , if there was democracy in the Middle East it would be safer for everyone including Israel , no one wants any more wars ... thats my opinion anyway ...
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 08:58 AM »
 Mubarak has left!!!! Great news for Egypt , there,s a huge party going on and if your friend is still there Lydia she,ll be having a good time . The army has taken over for the interim until there are free, fair DEMOCRATIC elections , I never fancied visiting Egypt but now the stink >:( has left I would love to go !!! :)
The people who were killled .(no one knows how many ) but its in the hundreds will be reburied in Tahir (liberation square) and their names remembered on plaques , RIP  to all of them ...

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 01:28 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12438702

As usual, pan calling kettle black.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 03:58 PM »
h i peoples power , wish egypt all the best , in 1952 they toppled the monarchy now i hope they rebuild in to a democracy  :D

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 10:52 PM »
They did indeed topple the monarchy in 1952 and a fat lot of good it did them! Egypt was far better governed back then. All the republic brought was despotism and dictatorship. There was an Egyptian professor on tv last week talking about how stable government in Egypt was under the monarchy and how people enjoyed more freedoms!
The Black Knight rides again!