Author Topic: Stalybridge Market Hall 1981  (Read 8379 times)

Vanessa

Stalybridge Market Hall 1981
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I thought you would enjoy this photo of Victoria Market, Stalybridge that I took in January 1981

Vanessa

Ashtonian54

Re: Stalybridge Market Hall 1981
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Makes me wonder where I was in 1981

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:47 AM »
Just as I remember it when my two children were small.  My husband's great, great grandfather was on the building committee when this was built.  Shame it is all cleaned up and lovely and totally underused.  I'm trying to remember and visualise the stalls inside the market.  The only one I can clearly remember at the moment is the toy stall as you entered on the left.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Jules2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:06 PM »
My mum worked there in the early 60's on the makeup stall. I was about 10 at the time and loved going there and arranging all the different stands, I felt really important. I remember there was a stall that sold woollens next to hers.  She also worked, as well, on a stall that sold canned and dry goods, a bit like a supermarket before there were supermarkets.  Glad to hear that Ashton Market is thriving, I didn't get to visit it last time I was in the U.K., I look forward to seeing the new one.

sooty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Hope Stalybridge market hall still looks the same,(i left the area 1970)love the stone work of the facade.
Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Hello Sooty,

Yes the market hall still looks the same, but it has been cleaned up and looks brand new inside and out, but sad because it's hardly used anymore.  No market no more:(
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Martin

Ashtonian54

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:57 AM »
We've been watching Turn Back the Clock, The High Street.
A very interesting historical learning experience.
They did Victorian, Edwardian, the 1930's and the Second World War.
Still to come, the 60's & 70's.

To be fair, I think we all enjoy the convenience and competitive pricing of modern shopping in an everything in one place environment. I remember the heyday of the Butcher, Baker and Candlestick Maker, though you would substitute Greengrocer there. The newspaper shop across the street, all this on the corner of Katherine St and Portland Street with Wadsworth chemist around the corner.

There is a move here to eliminate plastic bags they end up in the middle of the pacific ocean, we already use reusable bags in our household.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Glad to hear about the plastic bags.  We've been using our own for years now but it surprises me how many people still have a couple of dozen new bags at the till when they do the weekly shop.  Funnily enough it's the younger shoppers in the main.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 11:42 AM »
hi ashtonian 54  i have been watching that programe we are up to the 60s this week ,but can any one tell me what did they do with the lions that were on stalybridge market hall  :)  ??? look at tameside archives pictures could not find a picture with the lions on the market hall , found a fountain that was on the market ground , also was there once toilets there on the market ground that you went down stairs to them  ???, and were there market stalls at the rear of the market i remember it as a kid cant find any pictures in the archives  :)

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08 PM »
My mum worked there in the early 60's on the makeup stall.

I was a regular customer to that makeup stall from 1962-68, when I worked at the town hall.   :)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Vanessa

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Denise, I've just remembered that your friend was Erica Hamer, if you look at my recent post on Student Nurses, you will see that I have a link to a group of photos I took when a student nurse, Erica is on quite a few of them.

Vanessa

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 12:21 AM »
Cheers, Vanessa, thanks for remembering. I know she's on the end of the back row on the coloured one.   :)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Vanessa

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:52 PM »
I've added names to the photos now, so you will be able to see where Erica is.

Vanessa

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32 PM »
but can any one tell me what did they do with the lions that were on stalybridge market hall  :)  ??? look at tameside archives pictures could not find a picture with the lions on the market hall ,

A wider view of Stalybridge Market Hall. Not a lion to be seen. Were you possibly thinking of Ashton Market Hall, Greeny?

Plenty of lions on Ashton Market Hall!

Martin