Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 529482 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #945 on: April 26, 2016, 10:15 AM »

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 26, 2016, 10:46 AM »
Nice to see you back with one of your photo's Fudge

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 26, 2016, 03:31 PM »
On my last visit I tried a short cut through Dobbins field.Big mistake! I had to retreat after too long trying to eye contact the nag.I just felt intimidated,it is all said and done his/her field.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #948 on: May 01, 2016, 12:03 AM »
I don’t know if this wreck is the remains of an original working barge or of a pleasure boat that once plied its trade on the canal around 1900. I took this photo in 1968 when the water level was exceptionally low. To the left is a walled bank indicating the loading stage for coal once brought by tramway from the local colliery.

The boat was a working boat, S-O-N.Your photo must have been taken late sixties as the photo below, taken by Peter Caunt, was taken in the early sixties and shows the chute structure still intact on the coal loading staithe, although the rails of the tramway have been removed.

This photo is looking the other way, from the loading staithe, towards the old pumping station.

Martin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 01, 2016, 02:28 PM »
Wow - thanks for putting the pictures up Martin (and to the photographer) - I find them really interesting and am generally fascinated by the history of this area. Strangely I passed this scene many times from being a small boy onwards but have no memory of the chute being intact yet I remember the buildings. I recall being lifted up by my father and looking through a glass-less window in the building by the towpath and seeing a coat still hanging up on the wall. I wondered why the owner had not taken it with them!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 01, 2016, 03:15 PM »

A few more scenes from this area in the recent past. Two views of the remains of the lock above Waterhouses Aqueduct in 1974. The first one shows a date stone of 1891 (on the left edge just below halfway down).

Young fishermen by the lock looking for tiddlers in a stretch of the canal not choked with reeds in 1966.

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 16, 2016, 02:43 PM »

Attention
by Mark BJ, on Flickr

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 27, 2016, 11:32 AM »

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 28, 2016, 10:25 AM »
Nice photos Mark - there's a robin that comes into my garden sometimes and I'd like to get a photo of it (like perched on a spade handle!) - but I haven't got a telephoto lens because I don't think I'd use it often enough. Still, I can do macro and here is a photo I took of a Red Admiral on my blackcurrant leaves.

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 28, 2016, 11:15 PM »
Terrific shot SoN.  Just acquired a 70-300 lens... another example:

Eurasian Blue Tit
by Mark BJ, on Flickr

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 29, 2016, 09:49 AM »
I imagine Blue Tits are difficult to photograph as they don't seem to keep still. You probably anticipated its movements well and were quick on the shutter. It was well worth the effort.

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 19, 2016, 12:26 AM »

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 22, 2016, 02:48 PM »

Robin's Retreat
by Mark BJ, on Flickr

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 22, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Lovely pictures Mark. Did you take them round the Nook or have you got a hide in your back garden?

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38 PM »
Hi SoN, All (so far) captured in Daisy Nook.  Here's another taken in almost the same place as the Robin...

Doppelgänger
by Mark BJ, on Flickr