Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 529655 times)

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #930 on: February 01, 2016, 11:10 PM »
It's been over 30 in the shade all week, so thanks for reminding me what real cold looks like  ;)
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

PJackson

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 04, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Sorry, but that's not real cold.
Once when I was in the US it dropped to -28C - that's real cold.
It has barely been below 0 here.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #932 on: February 04, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Sorry, but that's not real cold.
Once when I was in the US it dropped to -28C - that's real cold.
It has barely been below 0 here.
That's +30C which is really pleasant  ;) , I remember being on exercise when temperatures got down to a freakish -27C back in October 1977 over in (then) West Germany, the Quartermaster had to issue the rum ration, it was a dry cold and nothing like the bone chilling damp that lingers round the Pennines and the East Coast  ;)
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 14, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Here comes Spring:

Phototropism
by Mark BJ, on Flickr

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 23, 2016, 09:54 AM »

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 23, 2016, 02:58 PM »
That's got to be a sunrise in Hawaii no? I like panoramic views. It used to be possible to buy dedicated panoramic cameras in the 1960s - one was called the Widelux. I think these days one can take two views side by side and stitch them together in  a graphics programme. I really should try that sometime with a suitable subject.

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 23, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Haha SoN... the views from the edge of Crime Lake can be truly stunning at times. 

I don't do enough panoramic shots - you're quite right, they can produce superb results under the correct conditions. 

Here's a spring scene from practically the same spot.

Undergrowth
by Mark BJ, on Flickr

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 30, 2016, 09:40 AM »

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #938 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49 PM »
Great shot  ;) It illustrates why you should drive on dipped headlights during "sun strike" conditions, it's almost impossible to see a car coming your way if there's a flippin star right behind it  :)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Is that car on the wrong side of the road or was it taken abroad?

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 04, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Ahh, I see what you mean.  The photograph was taken on Cutler Hill Road, looking towards the bridge over the M60 and Daisy Nook.  I'm stood on the pavement and the double yellow lines are by the kerb.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 04, 2016, 10:15 AM »
Ahh yes I see Ė an optical delusion.

Another raid on my dodgy photo archive reveals two taken when strolling along the Fairbottom Branch canal in the 1960s which may be of interest. Both were taken somewhere between Sammyís Basin and Bardsley. The first is a view from the towpath of some contented-looking horses on a pleasant day. The colour is a bit iffy as I took it on a cheap camera with Perutz film stock.

I donít know if this wreck is the remains of an original working barge or of a pleasure boat that once plied its trade on the canal around 1900. I took this photo in 1968 when the water level was exceptionally low. To the left is a walled bank indicating the loading stage for coal once brought by tramway from the local colliery.

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 04, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Great shots!  I suspect the trees on the far right of picture 2 are the same trees to the left of the horses in picture 1.

This is a shot of my daughter and her horse just further along Fairbottom - I'm lower down on the path that leads to the Medlock. 

Contemplation
by Mark BJ, on Flickr

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 06, 2016, 12:35 PM »
You have a good eye for a photo opportunity Mark. When I look at your picture I'm strangely reminded of the Lone Ranger - can't think why.

Mark BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 12, 2016, 10:31 AM »
As you'll see 'kemo sabe', I had a similar thought with this 'shot'...

Hi-Yo, Silver!
by Mark BJ, on Flickr