Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 519154 times)

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #600 on: September 20, 2013, 02:09 AM »
Chez Kiwi is 11528.2 miles away (some here may say that's not far enough) and 613.5ft above the oggin, don't think you could see it even on a very clear day  ;)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52 AM »
But only on a clear day......

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #602 on: September 20, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Where's the 'Like' button ?.  :)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 21, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Brilliant "Alpine Pike" District. Thank you Bill, just lovely!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 21, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Hugh Mason

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 22, 2013, 05:41 AM »
Hi Bill,

Where have they got the man standing now, please?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 22, 2013, 09:06 AM »
In Trafalgar Square Danny, opposite the Twelve Apostles.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 22, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Hugh Mason

Hi Bill

Hugh Mason stands in Chester square
                  Upon his marble perch                                                                                                                                                                                                                           H                His face towards the Astley arms
                  His arse towards the church                                 herby

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 22, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Herby's little rhyme reminds me of something that my late father would occasionally come out with. He would say, "He favas (favours, as in looks like) one of Hugh Mason's." I think this was meant to imply that the person was stone faced/gormless/useless. But why would the community still retain such mickey taking for this industrialist and social reformer so many years after his death in 1886?

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 24, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Herby's little rhyme reminds me of something that my late father would occasionally come out with. He would say, "He favas (favours, as in looks like) one of Hugh Mason's." I think this was meant to imply that the person was stone faced/gormless/useless. But why would the community still retain such mickey taking for this industrialist and social reformer so many years after his death in 1886?
Hi Too Shy
        Probably something to do the working conditions in the cotton mills. From what I've read they were a bit horrendous. My father worked in the mill at ten years old half a day at work half a day at school. If they made a mistake they were beaten. I read it was worse for the girls. herby

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 24, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Herby, Wasn't Hugh Mason a somewhat benevolent employer, committed to looking after his workforce? If that was so, wouldn't they have held him in high regard? Or perhaps did he go a bit too far and want to extend his religious views onto his employees, whatever denomination they might have thought they were.; hence the mocking rhyme referring to pubs, a****s and churches.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #611 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Herby, Wasn't Hugh Mason a somewhat benevolent employer, committed to looking after his workforce? If that was so, wouldn't they have held him in high regard? Or perhaps did he go a bit too far and want to extend his religious views onto his employees, whatever denomination they might have thought they were.; hence the mocking rhyme referring to pubs, a****s and churches.

You may be forgetting that Ashton was a hotbed of non-conformity! Hugh Mason was a Methodist so a lot of people may have considered it very appropriate that he had his back to the Anglican church!
Martin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44 AM »
Hi Too Shy
                    I wasn't saying  it about Hugh Mason I was talking about the cotton mills in general. I don,t know much about Hugh Mason I know he built the baths, but that's about it. herby

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2013, 11:21 AM »
I don,t know much about Hugh Mason I know he built the baths, but that's about it. herby

Hugh Mason didn't build the baths.
Martin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2013, 01:22 PM »
I don,t know much about Hugh Mason I know he built the baths, but that's about it. herby

Hugh Mason didn't build the baths.
         Hi Martin I just Googled Hugh Mason it Said he built 150 houses in Ryecroft for his workers also a library swimming pool a   gymnasium and a reading room. So I thought that would be the baths     herby