Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 519151 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #540 on: June 04, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Hello All.

I'll shortly be removing some of the older pictures from the board to make way for the newer stuff.

First of all, apologies to those who commented on them at the time and whose comments will shortly be 'orphaned' when the pictures go.  Secondly, feel free to copy any of the pictures I put on the board.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17 PM »
Spring Grove Terrace, that's right!!  Thank you, Martin.  Coincidentally, my friend who lived there, married a dentist called Martin!!  Lost touch with her some years ago.    Denise  :)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #542 on: June 05, 2013, 01:03 AM »
Martin

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 05, 2013, 09:18 AM »

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 05, 2013, 10:08 AM »
My Mum ran the herbalist shop here from 1946 to 1963-ish, at 26 Victoria St, three doors from the corner of Margaret Street.  My Dad died here too, when I wasn't quite 2 years old. Stayed there untill '66, but by then, demolition of many surrounding properties was well under way. Makes me very emotional to see part of my life gone forever, but the Corn mill plinth is a welcome blast from my past. Denise    :)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Denise's stomping ground.

Ah, thanks Bill. I was walking around that area on Tuesday looking for it, but I forgot that that bit of road was part of Victoria Street. I drive past it regularly but, of course, never look up as I pass.
Martin

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 08, 2013, 05:02 PM »

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 08, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Thanks a million for your wonderful and lovely, happy pictures, Bill.   You really have an eye for beauty and the wit to turn the ordinary into extraordinary!   
I especially like the one of the field stone wall (with yellow flowers and lone horse).  What a tremendous piece of work that wall is and those who had the patience and skill to create such a work of art from the land.   :) ;D
Looks as though you've had some pretty nice weather lately too, and I hope it continues for you and everyone for the rest of your summer.   ;D  Not so great here lately.   :(

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 11, 2013, 02:33 AM »
Oooooh!!   Thank you, Bill.   Finally, somewhere I can really remember!  Albemarle Terrace off Henrietta Street and Grandma's old house, #142, near the far end.     I wonder who lives there now?   They've probably changed it by now but it sure brings back many happy early childhood and teen year memories.   ;D ;D 

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 12, 2013, 02:02 AM »
Bill --I enjoy your photos & try to place them but quite a lot I cannot even recall for things have changed so much  but a recent one brought back many happy memories. That was the ticket office of the boating lake where during the early part of wartime quite a few of the boys & girls used as a meeting place.  I met a girl there who became my wife a few years later but alas she had a heart attack in 1974 & passed away. The Photo stirred the mind of the happy times we had & I often wonder if any of the old friends are still living and where are they now. --Jayess

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 12, 2013, 10:41 AM »

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #551 on: June 12, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Fork Yew ?  ;)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 13, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2013, 09:27 AM »

A scene from an upcoming Dr Who episode?
Martin

Ashtonian54

« Reply #554 on: June 13, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Nicely done! Martin. I agree