Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 526372 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11 AM »

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2013, 02:54 AM »
Hi Bill
          Thanks for the pictures. Brought back a lot of happy memories I learned to dance in the Humane
when I was sixteen. I was a shy lad then and the staff girls made you get up to dance if I had have to ask a girl I would of never learned. Been in the Angel pub across the road a few times although  I always looked too young to get served. I still had trouble after I came out of the Air Force. Happy days though.
                                                                         herby                       

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Hi Bill....like Dannyx6, I love the Bow St. photo showing the old-type market stalls and the buses, etc.   The imagination even brings back the smells of the various vendors' products!  Especially the veggie, candy and perfume stalls.   8)   I can't tell you how many times I've stood at the bus stop there on Bow St. waiting for mine to take me back to Hr. Openshaw, and before the buses, the trams!     I've been trying to figure out just about what year that pocture might have been taken, but that doesn't really matter.  It's all the memories those old stalls full of goodies that bring back so much pleasure.   Thanks again, Bill.   ;D

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Hello Joyce,

Don't thank me, thank these people.  The web site is well worth a visit as they seem to be adding to it.  If you need any help getting around the site and searching for pictures, shout out.

Regarding the Bow Street picture, my guesstimate is for the early 1950s.  As for the bus you used to catch - snap.  It would be the 219 which went down Stockport Road and past Guide Bridge on its way to Openshaw and Manchester.  The same route as today.

P.S. Looking at those old pictures, you'd expect there to be planty of brass around (as the old saying goes).

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2013, 02:56 AM »
Hi Bill
           Is that the side of the church on Stamford st. One of my mates parents were the caretakers there. They had a snooker table in a room under the roof where we used to go to have a game.
                                                                                                                                     herby

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2013, 03:33 AM »
Hello Bill .... many thanks for the link.   I know Tameside Archives is a great site for old photos as when I first joined Ashton that's when I discovered it and must have spent hours and hours checking out as many streets/places, etc., I could remember.   I think I spent days on end trying to get the right words to enter in the search engine and finally sorted it out.  Not too much computer knowledge in those days (not much now either  ;D) but what I discovered in those old photos was amazing....even a glimpse of Albemarle St. where we lived when I was born but which is now demolished and a parking lot (off Henrietta St. and overlooking the Railway Station).       

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Hello herby.

I've removed the other picture I did (too dark) - these are a bit brighter....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Fletcher Street

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #443 on: February 05, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Second shop from the left is BROWTONS new shop only just opened before Christmas.  they sell more unusual ingredients for cooking and have several freezers full of chef prepared frozen meals.  A bit expensive, but much better than Marks.  Salmon and Asparagus pie tonight for my tea with crushed new potatoes on top.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #444 on: February 05, 2013, 11:21 PM »
That sounds interesting, Gay. I shall have to give them a try!
Martin

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 06, 2013, 12:05 AM »
Second shop from the left is BROWTONS new shop only just opened before Christmas.  they sell more unusual ingredients for cooking and have several freezers full of chef prepared frozen meals.  A bit expensive, but much better than Marks.  Salmon and Asparagus pie tonight for my tea with crushed new potatoes on top.

I could sure use one of those yummy-sounding meals just now (6pm), Gay ;D 

I also love the look of those benches set around the statue, Bill.  I'll bet they're well used in the nice warm weather.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #446 on: February 27, 2013, 05:52 AM »
More great pictures Bill! Thanks

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 27, 2013, 06:29 AM »
I don't think it will be long Bill. I think they have had their hands burnt by missing completion dates for the tram further down the road, so when this opens in the summer it will be a major triumph. It is basically finished as far as I can see, all wired up and all track laid !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #448 on: February 27, 2013, 02:02 PM »
It is basically finished as far as I can see, all wired up and all track laid !
Even the matrix signs on the platforms are switched on.
Martin

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #449 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51 PM »
It is basically finished as far as I can see, all wired up and all track laid !
Even the matrix signs on the platforms are switched on.

So what's the hold up ?.
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.