Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 519126 times)

Vanessa

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2012, 01:58 PM »
An advanced stop line reservoir at a signalled junction is a marked and signed area (usually having a coloured surface with a cycle symbol in it), like a box in front of the stop line of traffic signals, which give cyclists a safe, visible area to wait, where they are segregated from other traffic. It allows cyclists to move ahead before other vehicles, making it safer for cyclists to turn left or right.

That's the explanation I found, always wondered what they were for I just knew you weren't supposed to drive into them when stopping.

Vanessa

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2012, 06:12 PM »
One for Chris - new bus stop...

Ashtonian54

« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2012, 08:48 PM »
That's an interesting sign in picture one showing Gas St.  No Entry to the right, except buses, yet the road layout doesn't allow a right turn. Picture two showing Assheton House. Picture three shows The friendship Inn, time for demolition I think. Picture four shows Cavendish Mill taken from near where PC Bright was shot Aug 14, 1848. Bentinck St opposite The Red Lion.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2012, 10:08 PM »
That's an interesting sign in picture one showing Gas St.  No Entry to the right, except buses, yet the road layout doesn't allow a right turn. Picture two showing Assheton House. Picture three shows The friendship Inn, time for demolition I think. Picture four shows Cavendish Mill taken from near where PC Bright was shot Aug 14, 1848. Bentinck St opposite The Red Lion.

Picture one might be a one way street (which splits), Ashtonian. Presumably, then, cars to the left and buses to the right. Pity the Friendship at picture three has been allowed to get into such a sorry state. One of the nicer Ashton pubs, would have been a very busy hostelry at the turn of the Victorian period when this part of the town would have been vibrant with all the industries going full belt. How times change.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Talking about Ashton / Re: Ashton Pictures
Message by Ashtonian54 on November 21, 2012, 03:13 AM
Bill is a natural Henri Cartier-Bresson in my view.
(can you lend me 5 quid?)
It's surprising how a bit of sun can affect the mood of  pictures.
Nice set Bill,keep e'm coming.

As Ian said, I say ditto!!!

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 08, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Yes, Gas Street is a one way street, the right lane takes buses into the bus station that's why cars can't turn right here. (or there).

Vanessa

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 08, 2012, 11:16 PM »
Here or there!!!!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2012, 12:53 AM »
I don't know why you think it's time to demolish the Friendship, Ian. Plans were approved a few months ago to refurbish the building and convert it into a number of office suites.
[Plans on Tameside planning website]
Martin

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2012, 08:54 AM »
There is a pub in Mossley, as you are coming out on your way back to Ashton  ( the best way  :P )  It is just after the Billy Goat. It is the length of approximately four of our house, and stands at three storeys.   It is for sale at 160,000. What a bargain for such a massive building !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43 PM »

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 12, 2012, 11:43 PM »
thanks for the picture but where are we??? cheers kennetho

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Hello kennetho,

It's on Oldham Road with the Hippodrome (Old Empire) on the left and the Library, near the lights, on the corner of Oldham Road and Old Street.

This is Mr Google's view.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 13, 2012, 01:03 AM »
Hello kennetho,

It's on Oldham Road with the Hippodrome (Old Empire) on the left and the Library, near the lights, on the corner of Oldham Road and Old Street.
Hi Bill
I think it was called the Hippodrome before it was the Empire. My Dad used to call it that herby
This is Mr Google's view.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 13, 2012, 02:42 AM »
thanks herby i thought that was the empire was it the theatre royal that was across the road on the right if i recall many moons ago .??? cheers kennetho

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56 AM »
I think your correct Kennetho