Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 521747 times)

jaywit

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #255 on: August 04, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Hello herby.

I heard you need a mortgage to drink at the Broadoak but a lot of the (remaining) Ashton pubs are gradually seeing the light and keeping their prices at reasonable levels - at long last.  Personally, I think it's been price rather than the smoking ban that's kept many people out of the pubs.

Some pubs charge less during the week and I paid 1.45, 1.79 and 1.99 the other night.
I think the Drink and Drive had a bigger impact.Most of our watering Holes are now primarily restaurants,not pubs.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Here in the midlands a pint is around 3.20
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Ashtonian54

« Reply #257 on: August 04, 2012, 06:52 PM »
2.75 in the Rovers, that's what Stella charged Steve.
I think it's more in The Woolpack.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 04, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Lovely pics , "red sky at night ..shepherds delight !"
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Clarence Arcade (on a quiet day)

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11 PM »
is this the former Clarence Arcade on Stamford St.?  Lovely building. Pity it can't be used for something.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2012, 11:39 PM »
is this the former Clarence Arcade on Stamford St.?  Lovely building. Pity it can't be used for something.

You're right, Meg, this is Clarence Arcade (on Stamford Street). No doubt, when Stamford Street was a thriving thoroughfare and the major shopping street in Ashton, this arcade would have been quite upmarket. In recent years, it does seem to have gone into something of a decline (what's new). Swinton Motor Insurance occupied one of the ground floor office suites (and may even still be there). A school of dance used to be upstairs and downstairs there used to be a picture framer's shop, a camera shop, a comics shop and a fast food (sandwiches/pies etc) shop. The quasi-employment bureaux seem to have moved in now (cashing in on the state of the nation). It's certainly an impressive building and well worth protecting.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2012, 02:01 AM »
One of my all time favourite buildings in Ashton, worthy of keeping
I took the same picture in 2000 and it was one of two that became corrupted on my Smart Media card Only showed the top half inch! I now finally have a replacement, Thank You Bill.
In 2000 the dance school was still going. My older sister attended there for well over a decade.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2012, 02:04 AM »
Hi
     We used to go under the Clarence arcade when the war first started it was our streets air raid shelter. herby

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2012, 05:30 AM »
The Dancing Academy used to be Noreen Dickenson's. She went for years and years. Probably someone else took over after her? I am talking between 1946-1955!! (Only yesterday) ha ha ha Happy memories.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2012, 09:26 AM »
They spent a lot of money on it a few years ago cleaned all the brick work out side and painted all inside and did the shop windows inside. but it as never taken of.Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2012, 12:05 PM »
The focus of Ashton changed once the Precinct was built in the 60s and Stamford Street declined as the main shopping thoroughfare. I remember Stamford Street with great affection- the individual shops as well as places like Woolworth's where I bought make-up and Arcadia for school uniforms.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Clarence Arcade some of the shops I remember from the late 1940s Starting with Westons Ladies outfitters next Greenwoods gents
 shop Sydney Browns jewellers Riding's house hold goods ? then a shoe shop And Harrops on the corner. Inside at the back was Bayleys cafe they had a few shops then a Ladies hair dresser.Up stairs a firm of accountants Broadbent Fish I think   

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Clarence Arcade some of the shops I remember from the late 1940s Starting with Westons Ladies outfitters next Greenwoods gents
 shop Kenworthys jewellers Riding's house hold goods ? then a shoe shop And Harrops on the corner. Inside at the back was Bayleys cafe they had a few shops then a Ladies hair dresser.Up stairs a firm of accountants Broadbent Fish I think   

Thanks, Albert. You've jogged my memory about Greenwoods. I think they were there until about 9/10 years ago and now the nearest branch for us old f***s is in Oldham town centre.

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2012, 04:56 AM »
Thanks for the memories Albert re: Clarence Arcade. I used to use the Hairdressers in the Arcade. I also remember a cafe/restaurant which was used for my aunties wedding reception (bottom floor) the waitresses wore black dresses with lovely white starched aprons and a head band.(That's a long time, but I still remember it well)