Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 518969 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2012, 11:20 PM »
Loving every one of your photos, Bill.

Hi Too Shy,  Drapers shop on Stamford St next door to Kenworthy's jewellers was Newbitts.   :)

Francis Thompson's poem 'The Hound of Heaven' is on You Tube read by Richard Burton.

Thanks for the info about the drapers shop, Denise. I think that's ringing a bell. Wasn't Leigh and Arden's (curtain's?) shop more or less opposite there?

I flashed up the Richard Burton video on You Tube. He's very dour and all the contributors comment on his excess speed. He fair rattles through it.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2012, 12:39 AM »
For Too Shy and Denise

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Latest photo looks so Dickensian, Bill!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2012, 12:14 PM »
That's a coincidence Meg.  As I was taking the picture, a bobby tapped me on the shoulder and said "what the dickens are you doing here at this time of night?"

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Nice picture (Stamford Street/Booth Street corner), Bill. Seems odd how the solicitors' premises, on the corner, are in "good nick" yet the former Kenworthys the Jewellers shop, next door,  is in such need of attention. The former Conservative Club, to the left of Kenworthys', is also looking a bit neglected these days. It's a sad reflection on a town which was once so proud and prosperous that buildings like these are just left to stagnate. I try to describe Ashton as it was to younger members of my family - they can't relate to what I'm telling them as they've only known Ashton in the rather run down state it's in now.

Ashtonian54

Newbitt's and the Kenworthy's Ring
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2012, 05:46 PM »

The story goes that the ring fell off one of the characters in a local pantomime production of Jack and the Beanstalk at the local theatre. He kept going round saying Fee Fi Fo Fum, where's me ring? Anybody seen it?

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2012, 06:44 PM »
My mum used to buy all her linen from Newbitts, when I got engaged she bought me a lovely down duvet from there , I had it for years .
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Hello Bill and Ashtonian 54,
Thank you both so much for the photographs, as Meg says the latter photographs look very Dickensian!
I bet you got a shock Bill, when Mr Plod asked you what you were doing? Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall!

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2012, 12:38 PM »
My run in with Plod 481 at Hurst Cross".What do you think you're doing" reply. "It's obvious".
Made the Reporter."Not a bicycle made for two."day in court for both plus mi Mam,  fined 5 bob each.
Moral? I'm still out on that one.Tact has never been one of my things.However, ask a stupid question and be prepared for an equally stupid answer.
Much to my detriment.I felt like a criminal.Plod probably got his quota and who knows may have made Chief Costabule!!!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Oh what a tangled web we weave....

What isn't a porkie pie though is that last night was 'big moon night'.....

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Great pics once again, Bill.  Looks like you did some 'plodding' around of your own last night. Apparently the 2011 'Super moon' was largest it had been in 18 yrs. Some great views on YouTube too.  ::)  Denise 
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Brilliant Bill, fabulous photographs. Now, please tell me, where I am behind the 'iron gate"?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Hello Danny,

I was stood standing where the wheelie bin is.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Brilliant Bill, fabulous photographs. Now, please tell me, where I am behind the 'iron gate"?

Stamford Arcade, running between Old Street, at the side of the former Old Dog, and Stamford Street.

(edited to add: Sorry Bill - didn't see your reply at the start of a new page!)
Martin

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Bill, I started off at the wheelie bin , then up and down Old Street , up to Penny meadow , looked in at my old school (st Marys..must be gone now  )up to my where my house once stood on Union St across to my granma's house on Romney St (house number has changed )down to Cowhill Lane, and up to King Georges playing fields (nice houses on Alexandra Road )and up Henrietta Street(very nice houses too) to the Old Ball and had  a look at Firbank House (looks very nice Danny )and  by then my feet were killing me !!!!Thanyou soooo much Bill , really enjoyed my trip xxx
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!