Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 521773 times)

Dannyx6

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Hi Pam

Glad you mentioned it! I remember the tip now at Oak Fold, Blimey, we must be bobbing on a bit now!!!!! ha ha. There was also a tip at the bottom of Rowley Street and Smallshaw Lane. Can't imagine it being there now when you look at the lovely Sports/Parkland they have created can you?

chrism2012

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2012, 02:23 PM »

The view from my back garden.
Another nice day

Chris  :)
If at first you dont suceed, Call it version 1.0

Walk softly, and carry a big smile!

Lynn56

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2012, 02:26 PM »
Beautiful sky !

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Danny , I remember as a very young girl about 5 yrsold , where the new academy stands now was a pond , it was filled in later and used for sports , my brother played goalie for his team , so his girlfriend (later wife)and I would go and watch on Sunday mornings , once someone shot the ball and hit me right on my forehead "Great header !!" the lads shouted ..I didn,t score a goal but I was soooo embarassed!!
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2012, 06:38 PM »
so thats  progress is it???? kennetho

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2012, 04:33 PM »

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2012, 05:53 PM »
"right lad !!If u think ur gonna get though me gate with just a bunch of dandilions , think on !!"
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40 AM »
I Knew Leslie Sykes he was a lovely man he was also Secretary at Albion Church for a very long time . Fudge

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2012, 04:39 PM »

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Lovely pictures, Bill  ;D ;D

Vanessa

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Thanks Vanessa.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13 AM »
Thanks Vanessa.

Excellent photo, Bill. That building is in one hell of a state and would need thousands spent on it to restore it to the grandeur it had when Kenworthys operated their jeweller's shop in those premises. It's been boarded up for years now. Next door (on the corner) was another old-established shop that sold household fabrics and linens but can't just think of the name (will recognise it as soon as someone comes up with it).

The poem, "The Hound of Heaven", if I remember it correctly, is a very moving piece. I have it tucked away somewhere so shouldn't really try to come up with a synopsis on here without referring to it directly but I seem to recall it being rather serious. I seem to recall that Francis Thompson went down south after some medical training here in the north and that he died in relative obscurity.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Francis Thompson (1959-1903) was born in Preston and studied medicine at Owens College in Manchester. He never practiced as a doctor. He became addicted to opium, went to London in 1885 and lived  a life of destitution until he was 'discovered' after sending a poem to a magazine of the time called 'Merrie England'. His most famous poem is 'Hound of Heaven'. Tolkien was an avid fan and it's said Thompson's writings influenced Tolkien when writing 'Lord of the Rings'.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Loving every one of your photos, Bill.

Hi Too Shy,  Drapers shop on Stamford St next door to Kenworthy's jewellers was Newbitts.   :)

Francis Thompson's poem 'The Hound of Heaven' is on Youtube read by Richard Burton.   
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2012, 06:42 PM »
There is a page about Francis Thompson on the Ashton site, written by a friend who occasionally posts on here:
http://www.ashton-under-lyne.com/history/francisthompson.htm
Martin