Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 519012 times)

brian seward

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2012, 03:46 AM »
Bill. Just got around to seeing your excellent photos.  Like Jayess we would be lost if we came back.  Now as to the photo of Hill's Biscuits on Smith st. (May 25th 2011)  My late cousin Oswald Smith who was killed in a motor accident near Audenshaw in the mid thirties, was the General manager of Hill's only around 30 when he passed away. His father Frank Smith was a driver there and I went there as a teen after school for short time. Is it possible that the street was named after  the Smith's I have mentioned

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Hello Brian. Smith Street was built at the same time as the first two mills in 1832. The 3rd mill, now the biscuit factory, was added in 1845. The street took its name from the owners of the mill, Abel Smith Buckley and James Smith Buckley. James ran the operation until 1876, then the mills stood empty until 1890 when a new company took over the buildings. The new company sold off the 3rd mill ('Tudno') which became Hills Biscuits.

There was no direct line between the Smith Buckleys and Hills so it seems to me that the name Smith is just a coincidence. If your Smiths were related to the Smith Buckleys it would probably be only distantly.
Martin

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Thank you Martin for clearing up that question.. My Smith,s lived on Fir Ave, is it still there?.. and I believe my Cousin  Elsie Smith was a teacher, maybe at Ashton Grammar.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Firs Avenue is still here, off Henrietta Street.

As I may have mentioned in another topic, there are nearly as many Smiths around Ashton as there are Buckleys!
Martin

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2012, 02:19 PM »
There's a doctor in the house, but Who is he. Saw this on Taunton Road.

Vanessa

Ashtonian54

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2012, 12:15 AM »
This one has the door on the left! Judging by the lock and handle.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2012, 11:51 PM »
New Academy, Broadoak Road

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2012, 07:21 PM »
A bingle in the Dingle

Ashtonian54

« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Good pictures

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Hello Bill,
Thank you so much for the great pictures..........Now, where abouts on Broadoak Road is the Academy situated. I am going to take a guess and you can bet I am wrong (as usual)!! is it near the top shops where years and years ago there used to be a Pit Hill?

It's been a terrific day with all the pictures that you have all taken and shared with us ex-pats. We truly appreciate them and all your time and effort.

Danny

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Thanks Danny - although I can assure you it's no effort wandering around in the sort of weather we're having at the moment.  In fact, I've just come in after a long walk on another glorious day and enjoying a pot of tea (I was gasping) before sitting out in the back to make the most of it while it lasts.

The new Academy you asked about is at the junction of Broadoak Road and Smallshaw Lane and is where this field used to be.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14 PM »
yes i would like to thank you all for the pictures you put on for us x pats, but most of the time i am lost with all the changes that are taking place.cheers kennetho

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Hello Bill,
Thank you so much for the great pictures..........Now, where abouts on Broadoak Road is the Academy situated. I am going to take a guess and you can bet I am wrong (as usual)!! is it near the top shops where years and years ago there used to be a Pit Hill?

It's been a terrific day with all the pictures that you have all taken and shared with us ex-pats. We truly appreciate them and all your time and effort.

Danny

Danny, it's ironic that you should refer to the area as once having a "pit hill" as that clue alone should remind us all that the fields that Bill photographed (the former home of the Broadoak Sports Centre ) had originally been the site of the Broadoak Colliery. Look on any of the old maps of Ashton and Hurst and you will see that this district is littered with coal mines and of course they are all now totally forgotten about but their old, abandoned pit shafts are there nevertheless. I once went on one of the Blue Badge guided walks in Dukinfield (I think it was Ray Parkes). During the course of the walk, the conversation got round to old, abandoned mineworkings in and around Ashton and district. On the walk, there just happened to be a chap whose passion was the history of coal mining (takes all kinds I suppose) and he told us that we would be horrified if we ever became aware of how many of these former mineworkings were closed down without any proper mapping of what was underground, the layouts and what was left behind. In other words, we just don't know what's underneath us when we launch into certain building programmes. My understanding is that a local football club might have relocated to the area of the Broadoak Sports Centre but testing showed that the substrata (or whatever else it's called) was deemed unstable and the relocation never happened. Picture the scene now; what was once considered unsafe for grown men to run around on is now the academic home of a thousand or so of our little darlings. Clearly, if the whole of Year Seven disappears overnight, we might assume that they've disappeared down a long-abandoned mineworking that the National Coal Board have absolutely no knowledge about whatsoever.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Yes Too Shy , I lived on Broadoak Rd in 1960s and my brother and I used to roam far and wide in those hills , my mother would be furious because she knew how dangerous the old mine workings were , there was also a council rubbish tip nearby which would burn spontainiously. So I am surprised that a school has been built there . What happened to Hartshead School?
 I used to go to the Broadoak youth club behind the shops, and I remember here was a newsagents on the corner which looks like it has been made into flats, but the houses look very similar to what I remember , my husband and I planted a lilac tree in our front garden in 1976 , it was still there in 1990s , but its gone now ...hanks again Bill youre a marvel !!!
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31 PM »
There is still a paper shop there. Hartshead I have heard is being demolished to make way for more housing. And I use to live on Warwick Road and there use to be a mine entrance in the area. Lordsfield was built on old mines as well. The tip you are on about as Ashton Rugby club and grounds there now. Fudge