Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 524826 times)

paul_b

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #450 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50 PM »
Nobody as a Tanner for the Leccy meter.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #451 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14 AM »
So what's the hold up ?.

I think Metrolink got its fingers burnt from being too optimistic about opening dates for other extensions. Various technical hitches put them back and back, so I would guess that they are purposely being vague.

It wouldn't surprise me if it opens all of a sudden in a couple of months. I wonder how long before the first trams on test are seen passing IKEA?
Martin

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 02, 2013, 01:20 AM »
I don't think it will be long Bill. I think they have had their hands burnt by missing completion dates for the tram further down the road, so when this opens in the summer it will be a major triumph. It is basically finished as far as I can see, all wired up and all track laid !

Major triumph? Did we need it it in the first place? I think perhaps not. We have a road system that gets snarled up at the first opportunity - as in this week's massive traffic jams at the bottom end of Oldham Road where it crosses the new tramway structure. Some sort of signalling preparation is said to be the cause and prepare for more of the same for the next two weeks. The backup saw traffic standing and waiting almost as far back as Penny Meadow one way and Katherine Street the other. All this when there are parts of the borough where the cobbles are now starting to show through the tarmac to add insult to injury. Did the rail system need improving before any thoughts of a fanciful tramway system? Ask the poor schmucks who travel into town each day from the wilds of Mossley and Saddleworth who can't even get a guaranteed seat for the cost of their season tickets. Ever been on there at the rush hour? It's like Bedlam as they squeeze into space designed for about half their number. Finally, what about the good old buses? With over a hundred years of history behind them they still can't get them to arrive on time. Want one after early evening? Prepare for a long wait in many parts of the borough as the route operators decided pretty rapidly which non-profitable parts of town they should ignore. As for the trams, I don't doubt for one minute that they'll be swish, smart and speedy as they penetrate out into East Manchester but shouldn't we have made sure that we had improved the existing arrangements for private motorists, rail passengers and bus passengers before we decided to create a fourth alternative? Don't forget, the tram system going north and south out of the city merely travels on the system previously vacated by the old railway system so, effectively, you're travelling on the old British Rail route, but travelling out either west or east is a different kettle of fish entirely. Prepare for the future by all means but improve what you've got first before you start dipping yet again into the public purse. Another grand example of long sighted planning but short sighted thinking.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #453 on: March 02, 2013, 04:57 AM »
GMPTE deliberately discerped the rail system.
When I went to school in Manchester from Charlestown there were loads of trains.
When I worked in Altrincham the Guide Bridge trains were every 15 minutes to Piccadilly. then crossover to the Altrincham line, again many many trains.

Nowadays, you have my famous picture of Elizabeth Street  where it is jam packed with cars.

Little by little as services shrank, people were forced into cars. So now You can't even get out Sainsbury's car park.

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 02, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I noticed on our journey to Bury yesterday as soon as we got out of Manchester,onto the old part of the network, that we were running on an old railway bed most of the time, with high rising banks on both sides.
The integration Trams Vs buses has caused no problems so far, they operate alongside one another fine.
One thing i must say, the trams are not plush ! The seats are hard plastic, with a 5 mm layer of foam, bus seats are much better !
Re buses after the peak time in the evening, it really is a question of supply and demand, and in their defence, it's not a charity operation.
It amazes me how many pensioners use the 345, 217 and 218 , which are all tendered subsided routes paid for by TFGM, buses still provide a valuable service to these people.
Buses being late -  they are subject to the same traffic conditions as all others, infact much worse, as you get people double parking,blocking junctions and generally hampering the buses progress all along the route .
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 02, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I prefer to go by train to Victoria and get the tram from there up to the centre. Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 02, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Little by little as services shrank, people were forced into cars. So now You can't even get out Sainsbury's car park.

I think you'll find it was the other way around. Most people aspired to have cars and, as more and more of them acquired cars, fewer and fewer people travelled on the buses, and so the services inevitably shrank.

When I first came to Ashton in the 70s you would see very few cars parked in the streets of terraced houses. Now you see very few spaces left to park in these streets.
Martin

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 02, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Luckily I had my phrase book with me and I managed to ask someone for directions back to Ashton. Bills post!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit(so they say.I'm not soo sure)
I would like to know who  the hell are "they".

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 02, 2013, 06:07 PM »

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 02, 2013, 10:30 PM »
I noticed on our journey to Bury yesterday as soon as we got out of Manchester,onto the old part of the network, that we were running on an old railway bed most of the time, with high rising banks on both sides.
The integration Trams Vs buses has caused no problems so far, they operate alongside one another fine.
One thing i must say, the trams are not plush ! The seats are hard plastic, with a 5 mm layer of foam, bus seats are much better !
Re buses after the peak time in the evening, it really is a question of supply and demand, and in their defence, it's not a charity operation.
It amazes me how many pensioners use the 345, 217 and 218 , which are all tendered subsided routes paid for by TFGM, buses still provide a valuable service to these people.
Buses being late -  they are subject to the same traffic conditions as all others, infact much worse, as you get people double parking,blocking junctions and generally hampering the buses progress all along the route .

So, you see my point, Chris. The good people of Bury (and Manchester north) got a re-vamped and clearly modernised and efficient rail service when the Metrolink service was installed on their already existing British Rail track layout. The same, I am fairly sure, applies to those travelling south to Altrincham through Stretford. Similarly, I think the Metrolink line out to Oldham follows the same principal. By comparison, the Metrolink line out of east Manchester has been created by largely using the already existing (and already overcrowded) road layout. The cost of transforming the road layout will have been considerable given all the logistical headaches involved. Compare this to the relatively simple task of ripping up the old railway lines and replacing them with the new. Not to mention the expense and disruption of moving people out of their homes, schools, business premises etc so that the Metrolink system could take their place.

As for bus services in the evening, leaving aside the issue of supply, demand and whether or not it's a charity, at the end of the day public transport and buses in particular are meant to be a service. If you don't provide them then you are not providing a service.

As for traffic conditions, see what effect introducing the Metrolink system to our already bunged up road system will do. It's hardly going to ease the numbers of vehicles on the roads is it? It defies logic.

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 03, 2013, 12:57 AM »
Hello Bill,

Thank you for the photographs. The Basin looks so tranquil, could just and contemplate!!

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 03, 2013, 10:29 AM »

When I first came to Ashton in the 70s you would see very few cars parked in the streets of terraced houses. Now you see very few spaces left to park in these streets.
  Hi   I remember the first family that had a car in our street Called  the Dunks family they lived across the road from me and it was parked outside their house and they used to sit in it and have afternoon tea in it. The trucks from the goods yard used to use our street and the coal fellows in there horse and carts and those three wheeler trucks, they didn't go they didn't go fast and the kids used to swing off the back of them. Used to see a few cars parked outside the school on Warrington st usually only  two or three. That was just after the war.        herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55 AM »
My dad worked at Oldham Rd Goods Yard and use to bring his Horse and Cart while he had his dinner during the summer hols he would take me out one day my brother another day on his deliveries we loved going with him Health and Safety would not allow it now. He then got a lorry that you had to wind up at the front he then use to take us in that. One other man had a car as he was a sales rep and thats how our street stayed till about the seventies. Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2013, 01:24 AM »
It's hardly going to ease the numbers of vehicles on the roads is it? It defies logic.

"The extended network is expected to yield an environmental dividend too, with five million fewer car journeys every year."

From http://www.thalesgroup.com/Markets/Security/Newsletters/Ground_Transportation/2010_Issue_4_-_December/Newsletter_Content/Trends_Case_study_Manchester/CASE_STUDY_%E2%80%93_MANCHESTER_METROLINK/
Martin

Ashtonian54

« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2013, 02:16 AM »
That's quite an assumption to make.
The passengers will come from buses not cars.

Ian