Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 520287 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #360 on: December 13, 2012, 09:02 AM »
The Tameside Theatre use to be the Empire and it as also been the ABC . The one across the Rd was the Theatre Royal Fudge

Ashtonian54

Correct
« Reply #361 on: December 13, 2012, 07:09 PM »
That's an interesting sign in picture one showing Gas St.  No Entry to the right, except buses, yet the road layout doesn't allow a right turn. Picture two showing Assheton House. Picture three shows The friendship Inn, time for demolition I think. Picture four shows Cavendish Mill taken from near where PC Bright was shot Aug 14, 1848. Bentinck St opposite The Red Lion.

Picture one might be a one way street (which splits), Ashtonian. Presumably, then, cars to the left and buses to the right. Pity the Friendship at picture three has been allowed to get into such a sorry state. One of the nicer Ashton pubs, would have been a very busy hostelry at the turn of the Victorian period when this part of the town would have been vibrant with all the industries going full belt. How times change.

You are right!  There's a 'Give Way'  ("Yield" in America) triangle in the right lane and the bollard has no keep left arrow. I missed that, must be an age thing as I have just passed another birthday.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #362 on: December 13, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I don't know why you think it's time to demolish the Friendship, Ian. Plans were approved a few months ago to refurbish the building and convert it into a number of office suites.
[Plans on Tameside planning website]

The plans look fine but there's no parking for the building. As a town planner I would like to see purchase of adjacent properties to provide parking.

It looks out of place now, "orphaned", since everything around is all brand new! The St Petersfield development specifically and the Magistrates Court. I'm all for keeping buildings of historic and architectural interest.
The other one is the Ashton Baths built by Hugh Mason. I see that building as a landmark and of great historical interest of life in the nineteenth century. However, what possible use can there be for a building that enormous in the 21st century?
Just now the Tate Modern popped into my head. It would make a great gallery for the arts. Trouble is, there's no money for that kind of thing. I don't think there's enough support either to warrant that kind of expenditure. These things in the past were always privately funded. Mason, Heggingbottom et al. and their philanthropic contemporaries were who supported the arts. So there stands this iconic landmark which no one has any use for.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #363 on: December 14, 2012, 12:37 AM »
The plans look fine but there's no parking for the building. As a town planner I would like to see purchase of adjacent properties to provide parking.

There is a huge car park just a few yards away next to the Old Baths for the use of people visiting any of the various buildings in the area.
Martin

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 14, 2012, 02:01 PM »
I thought that car park was a permit only one for the workers in the offices.

Vanessa

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Nechells in Birmingham had a similar redundant swimming baths.
See this article  http://www.bbccf.org.uk/about-us/our-history/history-of-nechells-baths/
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Ashtonian54

« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2012, 06:56 PM »
The Friendship Inn can stay, as long as they make it look new, as the plans indicate.
Good article on the  Neschel Baths, seems like a way forward.

Interesting about those sunset times, Four days where they are the same.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06 PM »
Interesting about those sunset times, Four days where they are the same.

In Toronto .ca. sunset are same for 2 days.It's an impossibility but it means splitting hairs with time.
Same as midday,it has to peak before descending,splitting hairs again.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 20, 2012, 03:12 PM »
 GG B/day today R I P

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 20, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Hi Albert

GG B/day today R I P
                   Thanks for the reminder

Many happy returns love  Bert           herby

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 20, 2012, 11:32 PM »
I still miss GG, RIP and happy birthday

Vanessa

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36 AM »
We all miss GG always thinking of Lily
xxxxxxxx Kevin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Yes it is funny we all miss her so much. Her family must also miss her she will never be forgotten as long as we are on the site Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 22, 2012, 09:30 PM »
The last two days have felt like the end of the world as it as been so dark and dismal Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #374 on: December 22, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Getting ready for the evening Christmas market...

Please note, this is not the usual market - the regular traders have gone home and other traders are getting ready for the evening Christmas market to tie in with the late opening of the shops on Thursday.
Martin