Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 459922 times)

chrisandangie

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 04:08 AM »
Desolation Boulevard  ;D

I was worried I was going to popup in the bus station !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Hi Bill
            Yes most of it wanted knocking down when I lived there. It really was a dirty old town every where was black even the town hall it certainly changed and all for the better. I,m glad Stamford park hasn't changed all that much, it really a lovely place to go.    herby

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Thanks again Bill, great pics (as usual) just a question though ..some streets looked very deserted and lonely especially the evening ones ...are you quite safe wondering around on ur tod???
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Bill - your photos of deserted streets remind me of the film 'High Noon' where Gary Cooper is about to have a shootout and everyone else has scarpered. Love the colour of the sky - you've not been Photoshopping have you?

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Keep it up Bill. They're good locations nicely composed and very eerie - I used to be a member of the local camcorder group so I know a bit about it. Getting that sort of quality with a film camera would be very difficult , particularly the night exposures. I wish I had gone for a 'pocket' camera. Before I bought my most recent camera, a Canon 40D SLR, I bought a 'compact' one. It takes fantastic pictures but is almost an inch thick and will not fit into any of my trouser pockets. Doh!

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 05:10 AM »
Hi Bill
           Thanks for the photo is it took a minute or two to recognise it there used to be a gate and railings across the spare ground in the front to stop you getting in. Is the building on the left of the gate still Jones's garage. I noticed on another photo a lot of the graves have gone there used to be quite a few that stood about three feet above the ground, did they move them when the motor way went through or did they just chuck em,they were very old ones and I dont suppose there were any relatives left to complain.                                                                             herby               

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 05:54 AM »
I have had 2 40Ds , I now have a 600D (much better in low light, and HD recording) Im afraid the old adage "you get what you pay for" is still revelant regarding DSLRs  ;D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Ashtonian54

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I have had 2 40Ds , I now have a 600D (much better in low light, and HD recording) Im afraid the old adage "you get what you pay for" is still revelant regarding DSLRs  ;D

I have a 30D in storage at the back of the wardrobe.
I use my 50D for pictures. A bit miffed because just after that they came out with HD Video on the next camera the 60D.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Hi Bill
         Thanks for the photo. I remember that place alright he hasn't done much modernisation on it it is exactly the same as I remember it I can still remember a bloke having a big argument with one of the blokes there when they put the price of petrol up by a shilling a gallon when the Suez canal got closed. I had a walk down Church st and stood ouside my front door only it wasn't there anymore Griersons warehouse is still there. I lived next door but one to it now it's a car park. Brought back a lot of memories though.

Thanks again.     herby

Vanessa

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I've never been able to afford a Canon camera, all my black & white pics were taken on various Praktica camera's and I think they've done a good job for a cheap camera, the camera snobs used to sneer when they saw what I was using, but if you haven't the eye for a good picture you can have the most expensive camera in the world and the photo will still be cr*p. I use a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR now with additional Minolta lenses, when I bought it it was about 200 cheaper than the equivalent Canon and I have no grumbles at all about the quality of the pictures it takes. I used to have a darkroom and did all my own processing, its a joy now not to be locked up for hours while I develop and print and be able to snap away without worrying about the cost of film. I just wish they were around in the 70's and 80's and now think of all the pictures I missed taking and didn't because of the cost.

Vanessa

Ashtonian54

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 05:08 PM »
I've never been able to afford a Canon camera, all my black & white pics were taken on various Praktica camera's and I think they've done a good job for a cheap camera, the camera snobs used to sneer when they saw what I was using, but if you haven't the eye for a good picture you can have the most expensive camera in the world and the photo will still be cr*p. I use a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR now with additional Minolta lenses, when I bought it it was about 200 cheaper than the equivalent Canon and I have no grumbles at all about the quality of the pictures it takes. I used to have a darkroom and did all my own processing, its a joy now not to be locked up for hours while I develop and print and be able to snap away without worrying about the cost of film. I just wish they were around in the 70's and 80's and now think of all the pictures I missed taking and didn't because of the cost.

Vanessa

It's an excellent camera you have there Vanessa and yes it is true, the idea behind photography is composition not some fancy smanshy camera.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I first took a serious interest in photography around 1964 and subscribed to the Amateur Photographer magazine from that date. Practika cameras were well regarded in the budget market so I'm not surprised they gave good results. I also used to do my own b&w D&P but don't miss the palaver of creating light-tight rooms, mixing developer and fixer etc. one little bit.
My first SLR was a Russian Zenit E camera. It was all I could afford then but I never regretted buying it. It was built like a tank and had no automation at all but it gave me perfectly good pictures. I still have it because I could never bring myself to throw a camera away. I now have 9 cameras (including 2 stereoscopic) dating back to 1964. Car boot sale anyone?

Vanessa

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 09:38 PM »
I have a Nimslo stereoscopic camera, boxed and in mint condition, might be worth something in the future. I only used it a few times as you didn't get many photos from a film, it was more of an investment buy as a future collectable, got it cheap as they didn't sell well. My other investment piece is an old Leica, now that will never lose value. Still got all my Pracktica cameras too, like you I couldn't part with them. The worse part of developing your own film was loading it in the tank in the pitch black, I ended up using one of those light-tight bags but it still wasn't the easiest thing to do, nothing worse than having a reel of film ruined because a chink of light got in.

Vanessa

Ashtonian54

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 01:34 AM »
I have a Nimslo stereoscopic camera, boxed and in mint condition, might be worth something in the future. I only used it a few times as you didn't get many photos from a film, it was more of an investment buy as a future collectable, got it cheap as they didn't sell well. My other investment piece is an old Leica, now that will never lose value. Still got all my Pracktica cameras too, like you I couldn't part with them. The worse part of developing your own film was loading it in the tank in the pitch black, I ended up using one of those light-tight bags but it still wasn't the easiest thing to do, nothing worse than having a reel of film ruined because a chink of light got in.

Vanessa

Nimslo Lenticular Cameras

Because of the ongoing, recent advancements in lenticular lens materials, and software, the once almost obsolete Lenticular stereo 3D camera is having a resurgence in popularity. The economically unsuccessful personal lenticular cameras of the last 3 decades are being gobbled up for not only their lenticular print abilities, but for a growing variety of parallel format posssibilities.

It was the Nimslo Lenticular camera of the 1980s began the concept of personal, consumer 3D lenticular shooting, and today it is still the standard by which all 3D lenticular cameras are measured, and for the time being, prices are still a fraction of what they once were.

http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/sca-nim.html

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 04:46 AM »
Hi
      I have a Sony Handycam that my mate gave me. It says on it 30GB DCR-SR40Hdd Hard disc drive
      7hrs(High Quality 20 Hrs long play. It takes god films and photos but I cant get the hang of it
       My Daughter in law uses it and takes good films of the kids. I had a go at it for about ten minutes
       and couldn't get it to work till my son took the cap off the lens I had a look at the instruction book
       but it has over a hundred pages in it. I have a little camera a Canaon Power shot which I have taken
       a lot of photos with but the batteries are nearly always flat now when I go to use it now. herby