Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 522694 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Blimey Pamela, you must be worn out.  Sit thee down with a cup o' tea after a trip like that.

As good as Mr Google is though, he can't keep up with the way things are changing round Ashton.  For instance - your old school as it was last November.  It's now under a pile of tarmac somewhere on the new bypass.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and it doesn't need me to tell you that buildings aren't just bricks and mortar but memories - usually buckets full.

P.S. I keep drifting round where I grew up hoping to see the blue plaque on the wall but they haven't got round to putting one up yet.

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Hi Pam & Bill,

I think I will have a Brandy, Lime and Soda after that long trek!!!! wonderful memories and you could not have put it better Bill. We are so very lucky to have guys like you around taking us back brick by brick, road by road. We have to ask sometimes though. You know I was looking down Old Street towards The Shoe Bar. In the distance (Memory Wise) The Blue Roller Door - I thought Oh there is Covent Garden the Greengrocers and directly across the road used to be a little fabric shop, actually triangle shape inside. Remember going with mum every few weeks where we used to buy fabric for our then dressmaker Mrs Malbourne who used to live where I believe Petersfield now resides. She later moved up to Palace Road. When I think how many people used to cram into that tiny fabric shop where they just threw the bales of material across the tiny counter and measured it with the inbuilt measure.........memories......thanks again Bill, I would never have picked where your Wheelie Bin was parked.  Are you feeling refreshed now Pam?, I am waiting for Bills next mystery tour! Thank you also Martin.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2012, 01:16 PM »
i would also like to thank our roving reporters who keep us supplied with pictures and videos of jolly old a-u-l  you all do a great job ta very much.kennetho

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2012, 02:15 PM »
During my trip I was able to show my daughter Sara where I grew up . went to school and where her great granma lived, now that St Mary's has gone she wouldn,t have been able to see it otherwise, quite amazing really and all due to our "roving reporters" Martin , Bill , Vanessa and last but not least Chris, maybe Ashton is just the same as any other town in the North West , but it,ll always be special to us "you can take the lass/lad from Ashton but you can't take Ashton from the lass/lad
 Danny, I was knackered !!!
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Christ Church

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2012, 02:59 PM »
I can't believe that at the age of 7-8 I used to go through the lych-gate and through Christchurch graveyard every Wednesday morning at 8am for my piano lesson with Miss Walker who lived on Taunton Rd almost opposite the gate that comes out on Taunton. In the winter it was often as dark as it is in your photo, Bill !!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39 AM »
I bet Miss Walker's neighbours looked forward to your 8 am visits Meg :).

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2012, 11:59 AM »
!!!!!!!!!  ;)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2012, 08:05 PM »

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Bill been up and down them steps hundreds of time nr the tunnel under Charlestown. Fudge

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Hello Fudge.

I hope these aren't yours  :) ....

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2012, 08:45 AM »
You have found me out  ;D ;D Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2012, 10:32 AM »
If they're still full then they won't be Fudge's, Bill!
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Now if they were bottles of wine they defiantly won't be full.  :P :P Fudge

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2012, 01:31 PM »
that picture(the cans and steps) rung a bell instantly and it must be 65 years  since I last used them.Get off Hurst Circular at the Waterworks,walk down to Turner Lane up the steps through the tunnel and down Wellington road to Holy Trinity.