Author Topic: Ashton Pictures  (Read 459921 times)

Nan

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Pictures
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Bet there`s plenty of it up there this morning Bill. It`s about 4 to 5 inches deep in my garden and that`s close to Ashton centre.

gibby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:19 AM »
You take lovely pictures Bill thank you, we used to walk up to the Pike on Easter Sunday and watch the sun come up. gibby

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Thanks gibby.  Actually, all I do is press a button (and fall down in the snow), the camera does the rest.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 05:11 PM »
Ahh !youre being too modest there Bill  ;DI was feeling quite homesick the other day , I saw your pics of the Pike in the snow and it cheered me up no end ! Not to mention how pretty the snow looks , thanks :-*
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Vanessa

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Lovely pics, I wonder if they will ever repair the footbridge at the viaduct, I nearly ended up in the Medlock last time I was down there.

Vanessa

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 06:09 AM »
Can anyone remember when the Medlock had rusty coloured water.
Kevin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Hi Kevin

Yes.  It was during or just after the war we used to go swimming there and a land army girl chased us off.  herby.

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 10:10 AM »
We used to go swimming during the war years and later in the Medlock.We went in just pased the Fenny Field Bridge.The medlock was clear water before it got towards the Park Bridge Iron Works and then changed colour afterwards.
Kevin

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 10:25 AM »
The water that runs through "The Brook" on St albans Av and at the back of our grove is always murky brown, but if my memory serves me well we will not be seeing it much longer at the side of St albans , as they are going to fill in the culvert where people keep digging it up looking for victorian bottles. Call me cynical , but a lovley new shiny estate would look nice there !  :-*
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Yes I remember the Medlock being a rust colour, probably round about the early 1950s; I have also see it covered in what seemed to be soap suds floating on top about a foot deep. We always thought Kerfoot's Pharmaceuticals were responsible so kept well away. No wonder I never saw any fish in that river.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13 PM »
The water that runs through "The Brook" on St albans Av and at the back of our grove is always murky brown, but if my memory serves me well we will not be seeing it much longer at the side of St albans , as they are going to fill in the culvert where people keep digging it up looking for victorian bottles. Call me cynical , but a lovley new shiny estate would look nice there !  :-*

That's what I like about the old maps. You can see where all the old brooks and streams used to run before they too were culverted.

Ian

Ashtonian54

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Those are excellent pictures
Once again you have out done yourself.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for those Bill.  Glad you're enjoying the wanderings.  Amazing what you find when you head off down side streets on two feet  :)

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 01:41 PM »
And walking is much better for your health than going to the gym :)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Hi
     Thanks for the photo's Bill I remember a lot of those places. I liked the Fleet st one I lived in the same block but in Church st down from the Mechanics. Oh happy days       herby