Author Topic: Kardomah Cafe  (Read 9592 times)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
Kardomah Cafe
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Hi Bill - Looking at your Photo of George St. had reminded me of something I would like to ask - do any of you remember a Kardomah (spelling?) Cafe somewhere in that area of around Bow St. through to Stamford Street.  I know I went in there several times - possibly in the 40's up to late 1946, or it could have been in 1956 when I went home once.  I don't think it was a very big place but it was handy because it was between where I'd been to the market and could also catch a bus to go home at Yates Wine Lodge on Stamford St.  Of course, that is also now gone!   :'(  However, I just wish I could place exactly where it had been.  Anyone remember? 

greeny

• View Profile
Re: Kardomah Cafe
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:59 PM »
hi could the kardomah cafe could have on george street i remember the u c p had a cafe on george street in the 50s on the right hand side the first block after the feathers it may have changed its name ??

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:47 PM »
Thanks Bill, and thank goodness someone remembers it besides myself!   ;D   It was definitely called the Kardomah when I went.  I'm also sure that wherever it was actually located, it would have been on the "right-hand" side of whichever street walking towards Stamford St. from Bow St., and they had little tables and chairs but not very many.  Oh, I do wish I could remember properly! Thanks anyway folks.  If anyone remembers anything more that would be nice.   ;D 

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:19 AM »
You're right about the name, Joyce. There was a Kardomah cafe in Manchester- you went down some stairs off Market Street, if my memory serves me well. I don't remember one in Ashton though.  There was a cafe on Old Street however- as you walked from Bow Street and the Market Hall you passed the Covent Garden greengrocers that was at an angle (opposite the Pit and Nelson pub.) If you'd crossed Old St. by Covent Garden there was a long low (white painted?) place that was a cafe.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Hi Meg
           That was Booth's Cafe and Howards cafe was on the other side of the road.   Herby     

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:21 PM »
Does anyone remember another cafe just off Stamford Street called The Blue Teapot.  Can`t remember which Street it was on. Think it was the street between booth Street and Warrington Street. Was that Delamere Street? Used to go in there with my parents every Saturday teatime after going to football.  We used to have a drink and some of their tomato muffins, which I used to love. That must have been in the early to mid fifties.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Oh, my goodness Meg!   :o  You mentioning the Kardomah which was down some stairs off Market St. in Manchester just brought back a very strong memory which I hadn't thought of in years!   ;D  I was taken there for a meal on a very wet and miserable day (what else in Manchester?) by a boy friend who'd just paid for me to have my picture (portrait) taken at a photographers in Manchester.  Across the frame bottom it says: Carl Cloud, 9 Oxford Street, Manchester 1.   I still have the photo (sepia) but the boy friend is long gone I'm afraid!  I remember he was from Deal, Kent, though and they had a big farm!  I think I was about 18/19!   :o ;D ;D  
I'm still trying to remember exactly whereabouts the Kardomah in Ashton was though and what the front of it really looked like - I seem to remember that the cash register was on your right if you were facing outwards onto the street.  Did they also sell packets of coffee too I wonder?  Not that I ever bought any of them.  I must ask my friend Betty if she remembers.  She has the best memory of all time and she's 86 now!  

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Thanks Herby.   BOOTH'S Cafe it was, on Old Street just along from Borsey's pork butchers!  Used to love their little pottery pigs wearing butcher's striped aprons that stood in the window,  Not so keen on the sides of pork hanging in the back!

The Lounge on Stamford Street was considered the most upmarket cafe in Ashton. Must be why I was never taken there!  :)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I remember Booths cafe , they actually had booths on one half of the cafe and the other side had stools at the counter . The only Kardomah cafe I remember was the one in Manchester , wasn,t it near the Art Gallery? I used to go to the art gallery with my mum and dad , and we would go into the Kardomah , I remember it smelt lovely , with the fresh ground coffee, I always had lovely hot buttered toast.
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 07:55 PM »
hi talking of cafe was there ever a lyons tea room in ashton?i remember the one on market street manchester  and i have been to one  in london when i was a kid they use to be dotted over the country , also the cafe royal on peter street manchester use to be a posh place one i never went in  :D

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 12:15 AM »
Hi
          I can't remember a Kardomah cafe in Ashton the nearest thing to that would be The Lounge on Stamford st that was a bit posh                          Herby

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 02:51 AM »
LOL!  ;D  No Herby - the Kardomah I knew in Ashton was definitely not "posh"!!  Just a nice little place to call in to rest your weary feet after shopping and have a lovely cup of coffee and some kind of cake.  At least, that's all I ever used it for.  To tell the truth I couldn't have afforded anything too posh on my own as I was still turning my wage packet over to Mum and got back "spends"!   :o 

There was another little restauramt where we used to go for a mid-day dinner when I worked at the Northern in Guide Bridge.  It was a bit far to walk if you only had a certain amount of time and so sometimes we hopped a trolley bus at Guide Bridge going into Ashton.  Any trolley bus would do because you really didn't have to go all that far.  I have absolutely no idea what it was called but it was on or near a corner on your left hand side looking towards Ashton, very close to one of the Squares but don't ask me which one because I absolutely never could remember which was which!  I think it might have been somewhere near the Baths  :-\   I do know though they had some really great food for Wartime dinners, and lots of it and cheap!  I think some of the Manchester football players used to inhabit the place too.  Not a really very big place but crowds in there every day.  Between 1941 and 1947.  Really good "stick-to-your-ribs" dinners and if I'm not mistaken you also got dessert of a kind.  Anyway, it sure was good when we had nothing but rations at home.    ;D Joyce 

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I use to go in a cafe on a corner nr baths it was called the Green Lantern. Then there was on the corner at St Michaels Sq not sure about name of that one Fudge

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 09:02 AM »
Hi
           That cafe was in Henry square it was the British resturant and it was inside the baths, the dinners were the same as the school dinners fourpence for kidsand I think eightpence for adults. We used to have swimming lessons on a Friday morning, that was the tater pie day plus you got a sweet as well for that much. I was still going to school then so it must of been before1944 that was when I left.                                      Herby

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 07:00 PM »
hi i also remember a cafe on katherine street we were kids in the 50s we use to see the teddy boys hanging around and we loved the music , dont know the name of the cafe ? but i think the people that ran it were maltease