Author Topic: TUTANKHAMUN  (Read 2230 times)

greeny

• View Profile
TUTANKHAMUN
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:51 AM »
HI as anybody been to see tutankhamun yet ,is tomb as been recreated to howard carter found it in 1922 its at manchester museum trafford centre ,its on till february 27 , its open 10am till 7pm monday to friday 14 for adults and if you go saturday or sunday it will cost you 16 its all replicas but i believe its worth going to see if you are into the ancient egyptians i will see if any ones been to hear there side of it  ;)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: TUTANKHAMUN
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Didn't they have some of the real artefacts in the real museum a few years ago?
Martin

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Just as a matter of interest, did you know the Earl of Carnarvon, who accompanied Howard Carter in his excavations in Egypt, lived in Highclere Castle, Newbury, which is also the setting for ITV's splendid period drama 'Downton Abbey'. Also where Katy Price (Jordan) married Peter Andre!!

Highclere Castle
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:18 PM »
I took my Grandson to London to see the Exibition there it was great . Also if you are in to that there is a good section at Manchester University Museum Fudge

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I've got tickets for a trip on my Birthday - can't wait.  My daughter painted me a replica of the Golden Mask as a Christmas present a couple of years ago.

One of the ladies in our Family History Group told me her mother was a servant at Highclere Castle - but I didn't know about the Carnarvon link - thanks Denise.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:01 AM »
hi the real artefacts of tutankhamun are in i museum in cario egypt , :)and tutankhamun as been put back to where they found him

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Hi
    I went to the Ciaro museum in 1951 when I was on leave in the air force. Tutankhamun was in there then along with his golden mask very impressive.   herby  

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:56 AM »
hi herby i bet the real thing was impressive , my brother was in egypt in the 50s he is fascinated in the ancient egyptions ,he would love to go back and travel down the nile  , did you go to the bazaars

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Hi Greeny
                  No i didn't get to the Bazaars I was only in Ciaro for three days and I was sightseeing all the time and theres so much to see. I got sick of looking at mummies. There were Bazaars in Ismailia near where I was stationed and it's a bit of an education haggleing with the traders you can barter for ten minutes and think you have a bargin but you would still pay more than twice as much of what he paid for it.    herby

Vanessa

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I visited the Cairo museum in 1973, King Tut's exhibition was amazing. The one thing that put me off was seeing animals slaughtered in the streets. Whenever we crossed a bridge we had to put our cameras away as we were not allowed to take photos from the bridges, though who was watching I don't know.

Vanessa