Author Topic: IS IT A SCAM  (Read 31449 times)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
Re: IS IT A SCAM
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 10:45 PM »
The "computer" scam is here in Canada too!    Had my first call about it this morning and told him I was deaf and couldn't hear him, that his message was just garbled words, and anyway I was sick, and hung up.  I don't trust anyone these days and figured it was a scam.   Mostly I just say "hello" and then leave the phone sitting on my desk for several minutes without speaking then replace the receiver when I hear the dial tone again.   Sometimes I say I'm not interested and hang up.  I do have caller ID but most scammers only show "Unknown Name - Unknown Number".   It always bugs me though when I'm busy and hear the "long distance" ring on the phone, race up the stairs and then it turns out to be a #$%&$~ scammer!   90% of my important calls are long distance and so I always hope it's a relation until I actually get to see who's calling!   
Glad I came across this topic though as I did wonder if it had anything to do with Rogers Cable & Internet going to charge more if you exceed your usage "allotment" for the month on your pc. I have quite a large useage allowance but don't download stuff so I wasn't too bothered, but one never knows if they're going to downgrade it so we'll have to  pay more per month - like everything else.  Bah - humbug!
I just wish I could do what Jayess does - speak in a really strange language or accent to confuse them.  ;D ;D ;D
I also wish all this old/new snow would go away - it's making me really fed up these days and more scammers isn't helping.   Still have about 14" of old snow sitting on my patio.      Joyce

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 11:00 PM »
P.S.    ;D ;D ;D  Guess what?  I've just had another long-distance call to say, "Congratulations - you've just won an all-inclusive cruise to the Caribbean!".....so I just hung up because I know it's a recording, even though it was a very cheerful-voiced, nicely spoken female.   :o ;D ;D Joyce

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 12:42 PM »
hi as any one had calls again saying your computer not working. i had one last week that window on my computer was not working , i said what windows ,they replied we can clean it for you , i thought scam right away , i told them i clean my windows every fortnight , they look perfectly clean to me , she said what windows are you on about i said my double glazing , guess what they put the phone down right away  ;D

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 06:50 AM »
Hi
     If you want to know if it's a scam go to snopes.com herby

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 06:09 PM »
hi as any one had phone calls that when you pick the phone up no one speaks a few seconds later it cuts off  you do the 1471 number i have never heard a number 00023456789 and the others are 000845 and i have no intensions of ringing them back i hope they get sick of ringing because i give no information nor buy anything over the telephone  >:(

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Yes they are computer generated calls, not all of them are answered, just random ones, its one of many companies trying to sell you something. We have caller display so we don't even answer them. The other day I got fed up with the international calls, after the umpteenth call I picked it up and yelled "will you p*ss off" and slammed it down, I wasn't in a good mood, strangley, they haven't rung again.

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 09:43 AM »
They always ring when you have just sat down for a meal or watching something good on tele they are pains but my objection is you can't understand a word most are saying to you. Fudge

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 04:21 PM »
If I see it is a tele sales call I sometimes answer it and put the phone in front of the TV, that way they try and talk to whoever is on, doesn't bother me as they are paying for the call.  ;D

Vanessa

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53 AM »

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 12:20 PM »
A few weeks ago I had a phone call from Dutton and Dutton saying they were solicitors contacting people who were paying to much rates, they said I was, I told them straight that I was paying the correct amount. Some one else who was a old lady had them and agreed to pay some money the daughter cancelled everything phoned the company and told them. Her mother got a visit from them and give them the money I don't know what as happened since. I don't give any info on phone or computer and the emails that come through I just delete don't even open them. Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 05:15 PM »
On Friday morning at 8am my friend started getting phone calls from all the people who were on her email list. Asking if she was alright. As the email said she was in trouble in Spain and need money could they help her. It took her nearly all day to sort it out with the help of BT.  Her phone and mobile was going all day and evening it really upset her that they could do that. Most of her friends and family knew she was at home luckly and quite a lot went in to spam. I had two strange emails which could have been the ones sent but I deleted them as I never open emails I am not sure about. Fudge

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I've had emails like this and like you just delete them, if my friends were in that much trouble they would phone me, but not before they had phoned family first.

Vanessa

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 11:22 PM »
On Friday morning at 8am my friend started getting phone calls from all the people who were on her email list. Asking if she was alright. As the email said she was in trouble in Spain and need money could they help her. It took her nearly all day to sort it out with the help of BT.  Her phone and mobile was going all day and evening it really upset her that they could do that. Most of her friends and family knew she was at home luckly and quite a lot went in to spam.

This has happened to two people that I know. It could be that her email account has been hacked. One lady that I know had her online Yahoo email account hacked and these messages sent to all her contacts. To make things worse for her, her address book and all her emails were deleted (possibly to stop her emailing people and telling them it wasn't true).

I had two strange emails which could have been the ones sent but I deleted them as I never open emails I am not sure about. Fudge

So that's why you never reply to me........
Martin

Lewy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 03:19 AM »
Although I have caller ID, I too have received "Scam" calls.   The latest cal was from tele no 039393939. I didn't answer and let my ansafone cut in, they hung-up.  Then double checked number with 1471 which confirmed tele no 039393939 had just called.  I rang BT and their technician confirmed it as a "scam call" from overseas and that they (BT) could do nothing about it, asked why TPS could not stop these calls and was told same thing, can't do anything.
you can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 09:58 AM »
Hi All, If any of you use Android (Google) OS on your cell phone, dump it. Get rid of your Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc; Use RISEUP.NET. Your spam will disappear overnight. For your phone use something like Symbian or Bada.

Just a thought.......

Daftjack.