Author Topic: IS IT A SCAM  (Read 31478 times)

greeny

• View Profile
IS IT A SCAM
« on: September 15, 2010, 03:50 PM »
hi we had a phone call this afternoon which i thought was a bit dodgy , a firm claiming to be computer maintenance services, they said that our computer was running slow in a morning ,and we should follow these instructions , turn computer on go on start click on run and type these letter in , i thought no one as rang up about windows running slow and the computer seems to be running ok . i started to ask where the company was and she richmond surrey , i ask her if you know that our computer was running slow who was our internet provider was , she could no answer that , so i did not take her instructions any further so she then said i can not take this phone call any further and hung up , is this a scam  as any one else had a phone call like this is it a scam  ??? beware

greeny

• View Profile
Re: IS IT A SCAM
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:44 PM »

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Yes, it is a well-known recent scam. See http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jul/19/police-crackdown-phone-scam-computer
"The computer users were then told there were problems with their PC, which could be fixed.
After being told to download a programme that handed over remote control of their computer so the caller could install 'fixes', the PC users were told of the £185 charge for subscription to "the preventative service". But the "fixed" computers never had any problems, and the value of the service was dubious."
Martin

burlington

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Hi,
Just read the scam warning.
I think I had one yesterday. When I got home and checked for messages, I had one from a firm whose name I could not make out asking me to phone them back about cancelling my subscription.
I checked their number and it was unknown.
It might have been genuine but it seems shady to me.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:09 PM »
hi be on your guard , we have had four phone calls this week so far , three computer maintenance company ,regarding the fault on my computer , which i havent got a fault , and one from window maintenace company , i dont know where these calls come from but the peolple on the other end speak very poor english, but seem to understand ---- off , has any one else had these calls recently  :D

Vanessa

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:34 PM »
If I don't recognised the number I answer,then hang up or I put it infront of the speaker on the TV. It doesn't stop them but at least they pay for the call. The worst offender is TalkTalk. Being registered with TPS doesn't stop them all. 

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:09 PM »
If you get a call that makes a dialing tone in the distance press your hash key 6 times quick and it is supposed to send the dialing computer that rings about 6 people at a time hey wire worth a try. Fudge

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 03:33 PM »
If I get a call from an unknown number or  withheld number I let my answering machine pick it up. They soon hang up!

Vanessa

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 03:52 PM »
A lot of them know how many rings to allow before the answering machine picks up so hang up before it answers, so I answer before it picks up so they pay for the call. You can tell the computer generated calls as they call again immediately after you have answered and hung up. There should be a law against this sort of irritating behaviour.

Vanessa

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:11 AM »
Over here in Aussie we get a lot of the Indian callers & they ask for you by name which makes them sound reasonably genuine. Now I have a very simple way with them I just answer with a "Hello" & then when they start their spiel & I answer them in the Broadest Lancashire dialect & they don't understand that so the calls seem to have got less & less. I have heard them in the background saying I can`t tell what he says & you hear the supervisor say cut the call.  Simple but very effective. --Jayess

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Hi
 The latest one here tells you have a parcel to pick up from the post office if you open it they get into your computer. I asked at the post office and they told me they don't tell you on the computer they stick a note in your letter box       herby

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Talk Talk call me at least once a month and Iím really brassed off about them. Last year they (some Indian woman) persuaded me to change my line rental from BT to Talk Talk and part of the deal was for me to get free Caller ID which I really wanted. But it never got it. So the next time they called (some bloke with an American accent), I explained that I was still waiting for Called ID and he (apparently) went into his computer and said he had set it up. But again I didnít get it. They simply tell lies to get business. Now when they call I put the phone down on them. There was a time when I would never have done that but they have pushed me too far.

Vanessa

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 04:13 PM »
I hate to tell you this, but caller ID is free on BT you just have to activate it.

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Tell us more Vanessa. Fudge

Vanessa

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32 PM »
We've had it free for a few years, I went to our account online and it was listed in the services, you just had to confirm you wanted it.

Vanessa