Author Topic: PUBS IN ASHTON  (Read 254570 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: PUBS IN ASHTON
« Reply #480 on: July 05, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Hello Albert.

It was just a few words about one of a dying breed, at least in Ashton, which needs all the support it can get.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 05, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Had a swift one in the Waterhouse tonight (used to be Pegs, on the Hartshead estate).  The prices have slumped from those shown on their web site and the singer was great.  Worth a visit.

Any idea why the name change came about, Bill? I know the original name was meant to remember the old hag (Peg) who was said to mooch around carrying her lantern on wet and windy nights on the old Ashton Moss - but why Waterhouse?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 05, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Sorry Too shy, I can't help you with that one.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I lived  a 100 yds from Pegs,seem to think I had a pint or 2 soon after opening.I was on Carlisle Crescent 1967 -77
It never was a real success

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 18, 2015, 03:41 PM »
hi artmak  the globe [witchwood] i remember a waiter that was good but forgot his name he always remembered  your order even over the sound of the groups , but i remember that nearly all the pubs round ashton had waiters even the off town centre ones , the half way house was my local for a good few years had waiters on at weekend they earned there money it was a good little earner with the tips they use get and it saved all that shoving at the bar ,i think they should bring  back the waiters :) and the latest on the snipe pub manchester road  http://www.thesnipe.robinsonsbrewery.com/

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Hi
       Waterhouses used to be a big market garden on the moss. I help to build a few bases for glass houses they had there. There was a little pub near there too, we used to have a couple of beers with our lunch.    herby

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 18, 2015, 02:41 PM »
hi i see another pub as closed the ring o bells, if they keep closing as they are they will just be a memory , a lot pubs that have closed are still standing and you can picture them as they once were , but a good few that have closed have gone and you would never have guessed a pub had once stood there as part of the community   :'(

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 09, 2015, 12:11 PM »
hi went by the crowthorn pub the other day it still not been turned into flats yet it must be the longest    renovation work going ,they could have pulled it down and built new property , the pub signes are still up  so it might do a full circle and re open as what it was built for i hope  :)

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 18, 2016, 10:12 AM »
hi the crowthorn pub is no longer , the signs  have all gone the , but the flats are still not finished yet what a waste   :(  now its  just a memory   :(

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 30, 2016, 10:57 AM »
hi went over ashton moss the other day i see  where the march hare pub was as now got houses there almost finished also the corner of richmond street and knowle avenue where the club was and the scout hut  houses there nearly built ,also the ring o bell might be comming down for a car park  :)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 30, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Years ago I used to park up on that land by the hut when I was photographing the trains passing Ashton Moss North Junction. Is nothing sacred?

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 23, 2017, 10:23 AM »
hi the crowthorn  pub is now finished and they have opened as flats ,also passed the ring o bells looks like work is going on ? or they are pulling it down ?and the wood cock on newmarket road work is still going on i don't think it will be a pub any more , along with the swan at cock brook doors still shut  :(