Author Topic: PUBS IN ASHTON  (Read 247905 times)

Vanessa

• View Profile
Re: PUBS IN ASHTON
« Reply #465 on: December 20, 2014, 09:09 PM »
It seems to have taken over from the Spread Eagle as the local biker pub.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 22, 2014, 03:08 PM »
My mistake, too long away from Ashton.
The pub I was referring to was The Engine.(Fire Station)?????

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 18, 2015, 02:46 PM »
hi went by the crowthorn pub the other day it looks like work is about to begin , i can not see it being open as a pub again , they have knocked part of the fence around the beer garden , the garden as been ripped up as it was a listed building , planing permission must have been given now we will have to wait and see what next , i hope the post box will remain as it is handy for local people  :( just to let you see what a good pub it was   https://www.facebook.com/TheCrowthornPub

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 25, 2015, 04:15 PM »
hi went by the march hare on the moss still closed , then on to newmarket road the woodcock is now in the middle of demolition , one more gone never to be a pub again . :(

Ashtonian54

« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2015, 03:41 AM »
Woodcock will be flats. March Hare demolished

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50 AM »
hi went by ashton moss the march hare is now flat no trace of a pub , and the woodcock is just a shell no roof , and work is going on where the  club near to richmond street and knowle avenue thats been closed for years is all fenced off along with the scout hut  next to it

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 07, 2015, 12:44 AM »
Live music in the Beau Geste tonight.

SCORCHING!

These are they.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 07, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Didn't there used to be a bowling green near The March Hare or is my memory playing tricks?

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2015, 06:52 PM »
There was a bowling green at the back of the Gardener's Arms.
Martin

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 14, 2015, 08:10 PM »
There were two bowling greens on Crowhill, one where the March Hare was and one off Knowle Avenue near the Richmond Club which used to be called The Bowling Club. The club house next to the March Hare lasted a long time, it was were you used to go the vote. The area of the bowling green off Knowle Avenue is still there, though I suspect they will build on it very soon.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 19, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Thanks for your replies Vanessa and Martin - I thought I had seen a bowling green on Crowhill when cycling through but it's a long time ago now. I had heard there was one behind the Gardner's Arms though I never saw it (nor even went in the pub). I wish I had now!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 22, 2015, 01:30 PM »
hi went by the snipe pub on manchester road it was closed and there was scaffolding on the sides of the building ,also it  looked like alterations were taking place inside , i hope it keeps open as a pub  :)

Artmak

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 01, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Hi Greeny
I used to go in the Globe in the 60's, do you remember the waiter, Bob Richardson, he was super and could take two orders at once and never made a mistake.  I used to go in the Queens on George Street and it was a bit rough but they had good live groups on and I hired one in 1964 for my wedding reception, they charged us 10 lol. We had our reception at the Theater and Concert Tavern on Oldham Road, where the baths is now.
Artmak

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 05, 2015, 01:03 AM »
Had a swift one in the Waterhouse tonight (used to be Pegs, on the Hartshead estate).  The prices have slumped from those shown on their web site and the singer was great.  Worth a visit.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 05, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Hi Bill welcome back with message Albert