Author Topic: PUBS IN ASHTON  (Read 252696 times)

sooty

• View Profile
Re: PUBS IN ASHTON
« Reply #450 on: October 19, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Maybe easy to say which pubs are still open rather than closed
Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 19, 2014, 07:45 PM »
hi i see the conservative club on the park parade by pass as closed and now a print firm  :(

I had to study your posting for a few times, Greeny, trying to work out where this place was on Park Parade. The best I could come up with was the Conservative Club on Stamford Street (known as the "Central" Conservative Club, I believe). Then, the penny dropped that you were probably referring to West End Conservative Club - down at the back of the old baths (albeit on the other side of the bypass from the baths). I think this "new" building replaced the original club which probably needed to be demolished to enable the bypass to be built about 1960s/1970s when that end of Ashton was blitzed more efficiently than if the Luftwaffe had been asked to do it. More recently, the "new" club had been used as the venue for regular sessions by the Blood Doning Service. Last time I was in there, it looked like the place was on borrowed time - which clearly proved to be the case.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Hi
            Park Parade finished at Booth St. After that it was Park St

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #453 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23 PM »
Hi
            Park Parade finished at Booth St. After that it was Park St

The name 'Park Parade' has now been given to the bypass all the way from Scotland Street to Chester Square.
Martin

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01 AM »
Mention of Park Parade brought back memories. After the boy's department of the Modern School closed in 1944 I followed Mr Whitehead (headmaster) to Stamford Senior Boy's. Living in the West End I got the job of taking the filing box of student record cards each Friday to the Education Office in Warrington Street (next to the Stamford Estate office). I used to then walk down Warrington Street to Park Parade, have a look in the Park Parade station yard, they used to unload bren-gun carriers and tanks there at times. If nothing was doing I would then walk along Park Parade looking out over the valley to Dukinfield and beyond then down to steps to Lower Wharf Street and along to Cavendish Street and then the length of Hill Street. We lived in the last part between Portland and Welbeck Streets. Happy Days!    Ayess.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 27, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Very interesting Ayess,it almost mirrors my earlier days.Mr Whitehead was my Headmaster at Stamford.He lived at the house below Broadoak School and when he was driving to school in his car(an old Ford I think) I would be waiting for the bus and would get a lift.He used to have juggle the choke to keep the car running,smell of petrol almost overwhelming.
I also used to take the attendance records on Fridays to the Education Office for Holy Trinity.
A long oak box with a brass handle if my memory serves me right.

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 28, 2014, 04:46 AM »
Correct, Jaywit, with a leather strap for a handle. I used to get out of the last lesson on Friday afternoon to go around to check that all the teachers had returned their cards. Whilst Mr Whitehead was our Headmaster at the Modern School he was also the Chief  Air raid Warden for Ashton so we did not see too much of him. When my step father, who had been in the Canadian army in WW I, saw his name with MA MC, Master of Arts, Military Cross, appended to it he said to me, "Look to this fellow for leadership. The first proves he knows something, the second didn't come up with the rations, that one you had to earn". I always took Pop's advice, well almost always, in this case I did, which was why I did the trail from the west end of Hill Street up to Stamford and back twice a day.It didn't do me any harm. Keep well.   Ayess

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 18, 2014, 12:56 PM »
hi my local pub as now been shut since july i will miss it this christmas and new year, it was local and handy i just wondering if any of you ashtonians know of a good family pub with a mixed age group and not to far out of the ashton boundry this is the time of the year when you do miss your local , i might try the snipe its been going for some years now  :)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2014, 01:13 AM »

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 19, 2014, 01:47 AM »
Not exactly a solution to your quest, Greeny, but I couldn't help noticing, today, the sheer volume of pubs that have gone to the wall in the last few years in our part of the world. I drove down Zetland Street in Dukinfield and rounded the corner into Astley Street - The Newboro' is now a supermarket. I pulled up, near the Gardeners Arms, on the bottom end of Astley Street - now boarded up. Along King Street, in the direction of Hyde, and the Newmarket Tavern was converted to residential use some years back. At the White Bridge, take Birch Lane up to Cheetham Hill Road then pass what was The Liston - now a supermarket. Down into Stalybridge then up through Millbrook and passing the boarded up Commercial followed by the Church Inn - now residential use. The Buckton Castle at Carrbrook - yet again, now a supermarket (strangely enough, the same owners as what was the Newboro and The Liston). If you want a local, Greeny, you'd best get your skates on before they all disappear. Now, supermarkets, that's another matter, we can fix you up with at least half a dozen.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Hi
      Is the Station hotel on Warrington street still open that was my local and a good pub when Billy Smith was the landlord and the Ashetteton Arms was good too.That was a while ago though    herby

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 19, 2014, 02:30 PM »
ashetton  arms  also had a decent football team in the late 1940 s has the pub gone now?? cheers kennetho

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 19, 2014, 10:57 PM »
The Station pub is still open.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 20, 2014, 02:53 PM »
On recent visits
to Ashton The Caledonia put a good meal on,as for pub,a few wander in on the way home from work for a drink.What it's like later (after 8,00 I can't say)to me it seemed not worth opening for.Busy and slow nights at the Broadoak.Peg;s Lantern was my local,now I wouldn't cross the road to go there,The Nook, Red House,Peaks,as for The March Hare? Seems to be dying trend,pubs that is.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 20, 2014, 04:37 PM »
The Station pub is still open.
It was full of emptiness one Monday night around 7.30
Would that be too early for the crowds?