Author Topic: PUBS IN ASHTON  (Read 252482 times)

greeny

• View Profile
Re: PUBS IN ASHTON
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:35 PM »
hi bill a lot of the local breweries have bit the dust, chesters , threlfalls , bents and gartsides , boddingtons , wilsons , i think i only went in the white bear a couple of times bill ,was that a boddingtons house  ob ? the old ashton hotel was a good meeting pub and one for starting in ,do you remember the star inn at the rear of the old reporter office ,they use to be some characters in there ,along with the nags head .i wonder how many of those pubs that are not there now , i bet there are twice as many that are not there then them that are,do you remember the one across the road from the metro cinema i never went in there for a drink i was to young it was also a hotel was it the grapes ? it was supposed to be haunted , also whats happened to all the working mens clubs , they were great for families when i was a kid saturday night in the trades club then a bag of chips from heywoods chippy on katherine s treet then home all sharing the one bag of chips  :D

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 09:53 AM »
How about The Prince of Wales on Stamford St.There was a womn murdered there in the late forties.
Kevin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 10:21 AM »
Nick Named the Stranglers Arms after. Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 11:03 AM »
hi  the prince of wales the murderer that got hung did the hangman use to go in the prince of wales? the theatre and concert was the landlord a hypnosit one time, thinking back the landlords of these pubs round ashton stayed landlords for years not changing every few months like they do now , here are a few more gone but not forgot brunswick on katherine street ,the carriers  arms on oldham road .the church inn and the castle on scotland street i also believe there was a bluebell on scotland street yes bill the one on old street was the commercial hotel ,can you remember the one near where asda roundabout ,was it the cavenish?

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 08:47 PM »
there used to be the envil club in the forties was it near the fire station as that all gone now kennyo cheers

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 10:05 PM »
The Old Fire Station is now a Pub called the Fire Station. The Enville Club I knew was on Katherine St. And then it was pulled down and a new one built on Oldham Rd but it as now changed its name . Also to Greeny yes Pierpoint the Hang man drank in the Prince of Wales Fudge

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 11:54 PM »
Albert Pierpoints was the Landlord of a pub in Oldham & he used to visit his assistant hangsman (who became the chief hangsman after Pierpoint) at the Halfway House pub on Whiteacre rd. If I recall he did a lot of the hanging of the Germans after the war & he was Harry Allen if I remeber rightly.  Jayess

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 12:23 AM »
Hi
          Somebody once told me Albert's pub waas called Help the poor struggler    herby

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 02:28 AM »
Herby --You are right it was called " Help the poor Struggler"  & behind the Bar was a few ropes on display & I believe another Hangsman managed a pub called "Live & let Live" but I cannot remember where that one was. Jayess

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 04:44 AM »
Albert Pierpoint had The Help the poor struggler and the Live and Let Live both The pubs where on Manchester road Hollinwood He retired to Preston.When he got fed up of Hanging around.
Harry Allen was a bus driver for Ashton Corporation I knew is son Brian.
Kevin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Yes he did go to hang quite a few in Germany after the war Fudge

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 11:10 AM »
Hi
     I used to like the Sunday morning drives that they used to run in a lot of the pubs in Ashton. They used to start around 8-30  and go off into the country, get to the first pub around 1/4 to ten have breakfast usually a big plate of ham and eggs, have a few in there then off to the second pub. Stay there till around1-15 and head back to Ashton for one more in the home pub then back home for dinner   herby.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 01:24 PM »
hi thanks for that bill  the brougham i was thinking all the names under the sun lol ,going back to the brunswick and the card schools , that was a fasination of a young teenager going in the tap room the card schools were serious buisness the air filled with smoke ,all waiting to get a piece of the action on the next game , thats when the put the jacks out . i went in the new inn a few times it was a all fours house the money changed hands they even had some running a book , i played don and crib some times in the union arms on burlington street , that was a good pub the landlord was called dennis,  there were a lot of asians that went in we all got on well together ,they loved a game of cards but there were a few rows when english was not spoke during a card game lol , there were also a few pubs with snooker tables ,i think the brunswick was one of them ? :D

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Drinks are too expensive. 4.50 for a small glass of wine when I can get a whole bottle for 5 in the supermarket!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Does anyone remember  The Manor house pub ? It was at the back of the fire station (which is now a car park ) at the bottom of Henrietta street.