Author Topic: Pop Singers and groups  (Read 586 times)

marystood

• View Profile
Pop Singers and groups
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Can anyone enlighten me regarding local pop groups and singers?  I can recall a Sheila Buxton who often sang on BBC radio.  The Orions I recall from the 1960's.  Was there a group with local connections called St. Louis Union who covered a Beatles hit?  Were there other artists from Ashton who made it big time?

greeny

• View Profile
Re: Pop Singers and groups
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Hi the ones I remember Johnny rich. Fivepenny piece .brad Newman.bridge beats.and there were lots who worked the pubs and local clubs they were good but never got recognized along with many musicians who backed those singers I remember someone named george price a fantastic drummer and a singer Annette star there must be many more :)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46 PM »
wasnt  llinda  meek  in the five  pennypiece from  meeks  shoe store???

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Yes I don't think they were all from Meeks though also there was the Tree Crows Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Check out this site (below) for information about pop music acts from the whole of Greater Manchester in the Sixties. It also gives info about venues in the city centre and the surrounding towns (including Ashton). This part of the north of England absolutely heaved with pop music acts in those days - most pubs had live bands on, and especially at weekends. If a pub didn't put live music on then the punters went elsewhere. That era now seems to have come to a complete end. If you blinked, you missed it.

www.manchesterbeat.com

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Gwen Harrop(singer) married Rodger Fleetwood.
George and Colin Radcliffe  5 pennypiece
The Globe used to have good groups at weekends.
The Palais was a breeding ground for famous musicans playing also with The Northern Dance Orchestra.
I was watching "Heartbeat" this Friday and saw Ronnie Hazelhurst (Fourth Trumpet and Arranger with Raymond Woodhead Orchestra)was involved .

marystood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Thanks to you ALL for the interesting replies and leads.  I will investigate further.