Author Topic: PUBS IN ASHTON  (Read 248142 times)

greeny

• View Profile
PUBS IN ASHTON
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Hi went round ashton this morning work as started on the bedroom the [ pit and nelson ] they are turning it into flats there are four pubs along that stretch of old street  that are closed , the chambers [ up nick ] and camel [the highland laddie ] and the sports bar [ the old dog ] stamford  street the only pub that still there is the feathers all the rest have gone i bet you could not get drunk now having half in every pub on old street and stamford street ,  ;D not enough for a pub crawl ;D

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: PUBS IN ASHTON
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:24 PM »
It looks like the (Blob Shop) The Wine Lodge is being made in to Flats or Offices also. Fudge

Vanessa

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:49 PM »
A pub crawl always started in the Wine Lodge, it was like going back in time, with spittoons, hard benches, and the Sally Army coming selling their paper. Oldham Council are thinking about starting queuing at the bar to cut down on binge drinking, its nothing new, that's what you did in Yates's. Pub's used to be a place where you met your friends had a few drinks, a laugh and listen to a bit of entertainment if they had it. Now its all down to trying to get drunk as fast as possible, have a punch up then throw up in the street or your mates lap, after you've emptied your stomach its off for a curry and another round of drinks. The next day you can't remember where you've been or what you have done, what a great time  ???

Vanessa

Vanessa

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:33 PM »
I don't think I would like to buy a flat in the old Pit and Nelson, it's well known for being haunted.  :o

Vanessa

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:08 PM »
Hello Greeny,

Everyone who used to go to the pubs which closed in Ashton are now fighting it out in Stalybridge on Friday and Saturday nights - still more bars opening in Stalybridge - the latest is a tapas bar on Market Street.

Taxi drivers tell me that all the young idiots who used to hang out in Ashton are now coming to Stalybridge.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:05 PM »
hi i remember the shepherds and the brittannia bill and many more that are no longer there or have been changed into somthing else , so stalybridge is where all the ashton drinkers go at weekend , and yes venessa i would not like a flat in the pit and nelson i believe the ghost still haunts the place to this day i think it as a linked  to market street which was name dungeons street one time ,and there are still bricked up walls in the cellers of the pit and nelson where the passageways were :)

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:08 AM »
It's so long since I visited Ashton I'm not sure if the pub I'm thinking of is the Feathers.  Back in the  early 70s when I worked in the centre of Ashton in the Stalybridge tax office (confusing I know!) we occasionally had to work overtime.  One evening we worked until 8:30 and a couple of us went to the pub for a quiet drink.  It was lovely in there - tiled floors, roaring fire and comfy wooden armchairs.  There was a large dog in front of the fire and the pub cat came to sit on my knee to be fussed.  A few years later I went back and it was totally changed - all fluorescent lights and loud music.  I was really disappointed.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:17 AM »
No thats was not the feathers. It as changed a bit the barrels you use to sit round have gone and it as only a few seats at night. But when the do food at dinner the tables are all set out never knew a fire in there as I think it would have been to dangerous the amount of people who use to squash in there .Fudge

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Thanks Fudge - wonder which one it was then.  I can picture the outside of it and where it was but I probably couldn't describe the exact location.  (Unfortunately, I don't have a good memory like most people here  :()

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:40 PM »
hi jan it might have been the black vaults the stamford  it use to be on stamford street a bit further up opposite the feathers  :D

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Actually, I managed to find a picture of the Feathers online (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/17039/ )and it was the one I remembered (maybe I was mistaken about the fire).  Whilst I was looking for it I discovered names of a lot of the current pubs in Ashton and it looks as if there's either some new ones or the names have been changed.  Recognised a few though :-)

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 08:15 PM »
hi looking at the picture of the feathers it is not on stamford street it old square ,it one pub in ashton that not changed its name, and as kept its originality great pub happy memories  ;)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 07:13 AM »
Te Globe is now the Witchwood but I believe they still have a great night there and groups still take part there Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 07:40 PM »
hi the globe it was a great pub still is ,they have always had live music there ,use to go in there in the mid 60s when it was oldham brewery ,did any one use to go in the queens on george street in the 60s that use to be a rough pub , when you think about it there use to be quite a few punch ups round ashton in  the 60s but the pubs were vibrant .whats happened to them now  :D

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:10 PM »
we go to the wichwood when we can to see groups but not too recently. Last time was ages ago and was wild turkey. Before that it was man, groundhogs wishbone ash and our friends group landing party. we used to go to spread eagle to watch groups now long gone and commercial and talbot, stalybridge. used to be a seriel concert goer and loved festivals.