Author Topic: Questions  (Read 50789 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Questions
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:46 AM »
A trivia topic for questions that don't require a separate topic of their own.

For example, why can't they invent paint resistant screws that don't need a lot of bashing and a few swearwords to work them loose?

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:23 PM »
How do they get Teflon to stick to pans?
Martin

sooty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Martin, that,s a secret that Phillip Harbon took too his grave..
Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:00 PM »
One takes a Stanley knife to the slot and scores it a few times to clear a channel for the screw driver does one.
Always matching the driver to the screw.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 06:53 AM »
Hi
    Put the screw driver in the slot and give it a sharp tap with the hammer. Works for me.   herby

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:36 PM »
I passed Lyndhurst today on my travels and it looks like there's a bit of action taking place.  Is it being done up or just being prevented from falling down?

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Yes bill we noticed it too, any work has to be good work for the place.  :D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Vanessa

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I see the house was designed by the Scot John Eaton. I have often wondered if my 3xgt grandfather, James Kissock Copland, worked for him. James was born in 1805 in the south west of Scotland, he arrived in Ashton about 1850 as a bookkeeper, by 1861 he is a land surveyor and in 1871 an architect and land surveyor. He died in 1872. There is a house on Taunton Road called Ellangowan, this is the name of a hill that overlooks Creetown in the south west of Scotland, it is also the last place that my 3x gt grandfather lived in Scotland and also the birthplace of his second wife. Does anyone have any idea when this house was built, it seems a strange name for a house so far away from its namesake, it makes me wonder if my ancestor had anything to do with its design.

Vanessa

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Hi Vanessa,  'Ellangowan', Taunton Road listed on the attached under 'E'.  You've probably already seen this.  Such a romantic sounding name.    :)  Denise

1891 Street Census

You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Ellangowan isn't shown on this 1885 map.

Vanessa

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Thanks Bill, as it wasn't there in 1885 then my ancestor couldn't have had anything to do with it. I've walked past that house many times and before I started my family history thought it was a Welsh name. Its a lovely name for a house and the area in Scotland is beautiful, I wonder why the house was given the name, its not an area that would have attracted tourists at the time, they usually made for the highlands. Now when I see it I'm reminded of my 3x gt grandfather, his first wife is buried in view of Ellengowan (the scottish one).

Vanessa

Ashtonian54

It's not 1885
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Ellangowan isn't shown on this 1885 map.

HI Bill,
This is not a map of 1885
It's a much older map used by that particular gent to draw his suggested parliamentary boundaries for that date.
It looks more like the Lancashire and Furness map of 1848 1:10,560

You can date the map at
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

type in ashton under lyne
then select (click) Tameside Metropolitan Borough.
go to the right hand side and select, maybe, the 1848  Lancashire and Furness 1:10,560

Select "Enhanced zoom" and Bob's your uncle.

When you select the 1894-1895 map you will see the house is there.

http://is.gd/eDNIA

Alternatively you can select from the map of Britain any particular area and zoom in  bit by bit to the area of interest then double click and your historical maps will appear on the right. Slide the slider to see which versions are available.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Thanks Ian - it seems I'd put two and two together and got five.  I'd just gone off the date on the map.  I'd located the house on your map #128 on your pictures website but couldn't find a date for it.

Apologies Vanessa, it looks like it's back to the drawing board. :(

Vanessa

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 04:08 PM »
I think I may have solved the mystery.

I looked at Ellangowan in 1891 and found a James Grierson, Ironmonger, born Scotland. His wife Ellen (Bateman) was born in Ashton, they married in 1869.
In 1881 they are living at Taunton Road, but no house name, but it must be Ellengowan. He still says born Scotland.
In 1871 they are not at Taunton Road, but this time his place of birth is Dumfries, Scotland. So its possible that James Grierson had the connection with the area where Ellangowan is situated in Scotland and named the house. It must have been built between 1871 and 1881.

Still it would have been nice to have had my ancestor associated with it.

Vanessa

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39 AM »
It is 52 years since I left A-U-L but at that time Griersons Ironmongers was on Stamford St at the righthand corner of the Avenue (looking from Stamford St) & was a fairly large shop --you could get anything there & if they hadn`t got it they would somehow have it for you next day without any trouble --where they got things from I do not know. I wanted an unusual article which they had not got but told me they would have one the next day for me. I lived in Denton then & when I got home from work the article had been delivered to home with a apology for the delay.  I Doubt if that would happen in todays world.  __Jayess