Author Topic: July 19th - A bad day!  (Read 2346 times)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
July 19th - A bad day!
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Hi folks - hope everyone well and doing okay. 
Not been around since Monday, July 19th - I got a terrible computer virus (or something) and it changed my Windows XP settings so I couldn't even boot up!  Ended up I've had to buy a new (or at least very little used) Windows XP Hard Drive as I've heard the Windows 7 is much different and I hate change! 
Just back on the internet a couple of hours ago and fortunately a repairman has been able to restore all my photos and emails, but I've lost all my "favourite" websites and addresses and it will take me ages to replace most of those.  Some I never will as they were just very interesting places and were once a "favourite" and that's all I used as an address to go there - it was a long list of reference sites! 
Tell you what though ... I've now purchased a 500GB back-up device called "Clickfree" (on sale for almost half price last week, but the genuine thing) - no software needed - just plug it in, it does it's own thing and backs up everything the first time, then afterwards everything from the previous date.  You can restore or transfer items around, but I'm only interested in backing up for now!    Serves me right I guess for not having done it before!  However, I had the software discs for things like my printer, Canon Camera, mouse, etc... so that was a good thing.
I sure was lost without my "world contacts" though...never thought I'd ever see the day when I was lost without my computer.   :o ;D    Just shows you how times change!  ;D 
Joyce 

Nan

• View Profile
Re: July 19th - A bad day!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Hi Joyce. Glad to see you back. I had the same problem in May and had to get a new pc. Lost everything on mine, and all caused by numerous viruses. I`m on Windows 7 now and top of the range security, which hopefully will prevent it happening again. I too don`t like changes very much but find Windows 7 quite easy once you get in to it, and like it very much now.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Hi
    I'm just back from a virus attack didn't lose much though I keep most on an external hard drive but it's cost me 200 dollars up to now I'm about to put every thing on Dvd's and do that every month   herby

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:50 AM »
Hi Bill, Nan & Herby!  
Had to get that stupid repairman back again today - he made me so angry!   He never re-installed or reinstated my Avast Antivirus and you guessed it - I already got a warning window saying I was unprotected and my computer was again infected with viruses!   Talk about paying through the nose for service.   >:(  Anyway, I've now got my antivirus back on, together with all my email addresses he "forgot" to reinstall.   There's a lot of other little things I haven't been able to re-instate yet because I lost all my "favourites" but I'm hoping to get some of that information back soon.  It's caused me a lot of headaches and grief though, so I'm going to take it easy on my brain for a couple of days now.  Talk later! It's too hot here to think anyway - been in the 30oC every day for ages now with high humidity and my poor old garden and grass is a depressing sight.   I hope we get a little bit of rain soon.  Take care....Joyce   :D

P.S.   Do any of you computer "techies" use the "OUTLOOK EXPRESS - VERSION 6" for your emails?   I have a question if someone does.  Many thanks.  Joyce