Author Topic: Help with Probate  (Read 3490 times)

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
Help with Probate
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:01 AM »
Hi everyone,
 I need help where would I be able to find Probate records or copy of a will for a relative who died in December 2009 in Ashton. Now I am pinning my hopes on you all especially Fudge, hope that's not too much pressure in all that heat you are having. Should be in the hills here in sunny Aussie with thick frosty mornings crunching under foot.
Hope you can help...Stella ;D

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Help with Probate
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:27 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is do you know the solicitor who is dealing with it, as it could still be on going thats all the help I can give because I have not had to deal with anything like that only old wills Fudge

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Hi Stella,i had to do the same about two years ago. Contact Her Majestys Courts Service, York Probate-Sub-Registry,1st Floor,Castle Chambers,Clifford St,York. YO1 9RG. Or tel. 01904 666 778. Or www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk

It was 5.00 for a copy of a will when i did it two years ago. I did it for someone in Bolton,but i should think Ashton will be included. Hope this helps. Paul.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:12 PM »
I applied to York for a copy of a will for someone in Ashton so that's the place to go.
Meg
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Thanks all of you Iwill give it a go if I get a result I will let you all know.
Stella

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:47 AM »
Well I checked out the probate web sites boy what a lot of information, after all the reading seems because the Will is fairly new it may not have gone through Probate yet. So back to the drawing board again.
Stella

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Not every Will has to go through Probate and it's only if they go through Probate that a record survives.  Wills proven within the last 50 years are held at one of the District Probate Registries;  http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/civil/probate/registries.htm  If a Will is reasonably straight forward it might not have to go through probate for the recipients to receive any bequests.  It is usually at the request of the people paying out, mostly Banks who insist on it.

After fifty years they are then forwarded onto the National Probate Registry.

You don't have to go through the District Probate Registry where the deceased lived, you can chose to go through any of them and it is often easier to go through the Probate Registry closest to where the Executor/s of the Will lives.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:09 AM »
Thanks everyone I have come to the conclusion I will have to wait a while and see what happens with this will.
Stella

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Hi stella
the london gazette publishes the details of deaths as they all get published so that anyone who may have a claim to a will knows who and where to claim .The site is straight forward and may give you extra info .