Author Topic: pubs now no more  (Read 18129 times)

lydia

• View Profile
pubs now no more
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:40 PM »
There was a pub on cowhill lane. Was it called The manor?

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: pubs now no more
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:12 AM »
The Manor House was at the bottom of Camp Street, opposite what is now Tameside Council office entrance. There was a Railway pub on Cowhill Lane, just before the railway bridge.
Martin

burlington

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Anyone know anything about the Witchwood closing?
Burlington.

sooty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Martin how come you know where all the pubs are or were,could,nt have been a regular in them all.
Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Wow i must do more research re The Witchwood, I thought that was a sucess story. We went to the Guzzling Goose on Sunday afternoon, the place was packed,we loved it (in fact angie left me in there,being a responsible parent  :) )  I was still home for half eight though,im a good lad,i am  ;D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:30 AM »
And there was me thinking my sister was the expert on pubs in Ashton  ;D  (I think Martin is a good rival)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:52 AM »
My Niece goes in the Witch Wood regular I was talking to her on Sunday and she mentioned she still goes never said it was closing. I know there is to be a new college in area for business studies 3 stories with a cafe on ground floor for anyone to go in for a drink and something to eat  I have seen the plans and the pub didn't look affected. Fudge

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:39 AM »
The Witchwood has a forum similar to this one. Perhaps someone could register - find out the latest 'goss'!   :o

The Witchwood - Live Music Venue
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:51 AM »
I had a look at it yesterday , it is closed at the moment, one theory is new management coming in , and there is a person who bought tickets for an upcoming gig there , who is rightfully worried  :-X

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46 PM »
havent been in the witchwood for a while. am sure the last group saw there was wild turkey and that was ages ago cos whenever look there's just tribute bands on. husbands nephew darren poyzer used to book all the groups and we had some good nights there including man and wishbone ash. shame after all publicity before if it shuts now. think spread eagle reunion is at turnpike saturday!!!!

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Seconds out round two at the turnpike then ( just like most weekends  ;D )
Darren is a friend of mine,since childhood,we used to be in a band together in the mid 80's, he was the keyboard player , i was the sound engineer, that was before he branched off into poetry  :)

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I had a look at it yesterday , it is closed at the moment, one theory is new management coming in , and there is a person who bought tickets for an upcoming gig there , who is rightfully worried  :-X

Hi Chris,  Witchwood reopening Thursday 15th July and their forum back up and running!    :o
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Hi chris its a small world isnt it? Dont spose you know patrick roebottom  as well? And do you know where the moon and sixpence is in glossop as a friend said he did a gig there recently but never heard of it. Thanks denise its good to know its re-opening again.

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:27 PM »
It is lydia  ;D  The name rings a bell , yes i do know the moon & sixpence in glossop, it's a nice pub,with loads of live music all the time. Its on Henry St, where the bus station is , opposite the side of the Co-op.

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 03:34 AM »
During the 40s I recollect there were more than thirty pubs between St Michaels' Square and the end of Stamford St including Old St. In fact there were at least 10 pubs in shouting distance of the Palais
Is my old local "Miners Arms at Montague Rd and Mossley Rd still in existence??
The publican was named Sid... I must have played hundreds of games of dominoes in the tap room and bet on the horses Saturday lunchtime.