Author Topic: Canon Johnson School /Elgin St 100 years Celibrations  (Read 6653 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Canon Johnson School /Elgin St 100 years Celibrations
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Hi gibby I don,t remember the shelter but I did read about it in the school books they were all crammed in the cellar till it was built. The Infants and Juniors schools still celebrate Christmas at most schools its lovely as the little ones stand up and start waving to there parents or shouting to them I try to go to see the Nativity plays each year. I did not get Cod Liver oil or Orange Juice at school but got it at home loved the orange juice never found any since with the same taste still remember it. Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Hi Gibby 
Welcome to the discussion board.  I do remember the air raid shelter at school - I think we used to climb on top and jump off!
There was a shelter where bikes were parked although not many of us had bikes in those days. I dont rememnber cod liver oil and orange juice though! All off the same spoon? After I had the measles I was sent for sun-ray treatment at the school clinic in Charlestown. We all sat on little stools arranged in a circle around the sunray lamp, wearing dark goggles :)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Hi Meg I remember going to Richmond St Church for my Sun treatment and we sat on oval rush type mats. Fudge

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 02:00 PM »
All off the same spoon?

And more,all the class lined up."All off the same spoon"?

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Was the orange juice that thick stuff that they sold at the 'baby clinic'- came in medicine type bottles. I loved that stuff!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

gibby

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 04:01 AM »
Greetings Fudge and Meg, Yes the orange juice was the one you got from the baby clinic I liked it too. My sister and I never seemed to get sick, my grandmother told us it was because of the cod liver oil and orange juice. I am so glad you know about the air raid shelter, yes we all loved to climb ontop and jump off, I remember jumpping off, landing on my knees and getting a big hole in my very thick woolen tights ( did we call them tights then?) oh well we live and learn but we sure had fun. Take care, gibby