Author Topic: Canon Johnson School /Elgin St 100 years Celibrations  (Read 8431 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Canon Johnson School /Elgin St 100 years Celibrations
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:21 AM »
During the week of the 23rd May 2010 we are holding our School 100 birthday Celebrations and are inviting ex staff and pupils to join us at one of the events.
Sunday 23rd May 2010 at Christ Church at 10 30am. After a fair on the school grounds at 12pm. On Thursday 27th May 2010 at 1330 at School Afternoon tea and to look at memories and to discuss any with past pupils. On Friday 28th May 915am At Christ Church a Thanks giving Service . Can you pass this info on if you know any ex pupils or staff and lets make this event to be remembered for the next Hundred years Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Canon Johnson School /Elgin St 100 years Celibrations
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Hope this weather keeps up for our fair this weekend and for next weeks events. Even our Cook as got in the swing of things and is doing a dinner one day Edwardian style, Trench Stew and Jam Rolly polly, should be fun   ??? . Remember any one who attend is welcome to visit any of the above days and the fair on Sunday anyone can Visit Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 03:42 PM »
I would have loved to have come to the celebrations, Pat.  I do hope all goes well. Give my best wishes to Clive D.  Bet he's very involved.
And hope this lovely weather holds for you.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Hi Meg Sorry you won't be able to attend one of the events. Will tell Mr D you have been in contact and during the events I think 5 Past Head Teachers will be calling in at some stage during the week. Thank you for thinking about us Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Was a brilliant day pkt out but I am Shattered now it was to hot to put the outfits on so hoping Thursday is a little cooler and we can wear them then Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:39 PM »
Well it as been a great time at School this week I went in to a Victorian Classroom one day and a Victorian Police  station another day. It was a wonderful experience on Thursday Afternoon with lots of visitors coming in to school looking at old Photo's and records there were lots of retired Staff called in and people were trying to get to talk to many of the Staff  remenicing about when they attend the school. Then this Morning we all went across dressed in our Edwardian costumes to Church for a Thanks Giving Service. After this Service we all walked back together as they did One Hundred yrs ago to school The traffic was stopped on Oldham Rd and there was many a surprised face when they saw everyone dressed up. This afternoon it would end with the children having a street party and are being given a Centenary Mug I wonder what celebrations they will do for there 200 yrs Centenary wish I could be there . Fudge

gibby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 05:34 AM »
Hello, I am a newbie, and this is my very first post. I attended Elgin St school from about 1947 until 1949 I have very fond memories, I knew Canon Johnson he would visit our home , and my grandmother would put on the kettle and make him a cup of tea and give him two and six for the collection. I would have loved to have been at the 100th celabration but living in Minnesota USA would have been a little hard.
Thank you for this wonderful forum, and thank you so much Martin for your help getting me accepted. Gibby     

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Sorry you could not come so far .There was a lady who was on hols just before it and would have loved to stay also she was from Australia. We had some lovely letters from people who lived all over who could not make it. But everyone involved had a wonderful week. Fudge

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Hi
        Welcome to the board gibby from one of the cat lights from St Anns. left a couple of years before you in 44 now living in Aus      herby

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Welcome, Gibby! Sorry for the hassle getting onto the forum. We have to have strong defences to keep the nasty spammers out!
Martin

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 03:03 PM »
I went to Elgin Street School from about 1952 until we moved to Waterloo in Dec 1954. I lived on Turner Lane, just by the railway and would walk up Warre Street, Winton Street, past Monks Garage and then up Elgin St.  I have happy memories of my very early school days there. We had little pictures by our coat pegs- mine was a picture of a queen with a golden crown and my friend Lorraine had a picture of a ladder. We would do 'Music and Movement' in the hall, pretending to be leaves floating on the breeze, then the wind would get stronger and the leaves would twist and turn furiously! In the afternoons we had to have a nap, on little folding camp beds with scratchy grey blankets. I remember on warm days we'd be outside in the playground for our nap.  Do I remember a little bit of garden with a stone birdbath? I learned to read from 'Old Lob' stories and Beacon Readers.  Miss Harding was headmistress. Her room smelled of furniture polish!

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 07:16 PM »
 Hi Meg Would that be Miss Peggy Harding her parents had pawn shop
 on Stamford st opposite Arcadia   Albert

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Hi Albert Sorry not the same one She was called Eveline Harding I know here father had died by 1911. She was 92 when she died she lived not far from me Regards Pat

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:38 AM »
There were quite a few Hardings in Ashton. I wondered at one stage whether Miss Eveline Harding was a relative of mine as my great grandfather was Samson HARDING who kept 'The Old Ball' pub. until 1922. His daughter Bertha Harding married my grandfather Harry Wragg in 1913 - they lived in Smallshaw Lane- the cottage is still there where my mother was born.  Sarah (Cissie Harding) and her partner Fred Hickling (no evidence they ever married) kept a greengrocer's shop on Stockport Rd Ryecroft. There was also a son, Arthur Harding who is said to have played piano on the 'Queen Mary'.

gibby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 04:20 AM »
Hi Meg, I lived on Windermere Crescent, we would walk up Buttermere Rd, and across Taunton RD through Christ Church walk way and then across Oldam Rd and walk up to Elgin St. My memory is not as good as yours but I do remember having to stand in a line for our daily dose of cod liver oil and orange juice "Yuk" and of course taking our naps on the little cots. I seem to remember there was an air raid shelter on the gounds outside the school fence, do you recall this? I used to love Cristmas time there I can remember the smells of the holidays and the Christmas play, I do wish that the schools still celibrated Christmas, here in the US my grandchildren celibrate the Winter holidays. gibby