Author Topic: When did Katharine become Katherine?  (Read 9463 times)

Ashtonian54

Re: When did Katharine become Katherine?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Hi Ian,  Notice you've retained your accent. Bet the Burbank folk can't guess where you're from?   ;)

I always tell them Burbank,  always gets a laugh!

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Exactly right , we are Ashtonians and proud of it !!!My lads have copied my accent , which is great cos they never lived in Ashton , Ammar who lives in Bournemouth was in a pub and a guy next to him said ,"are you from Ashton ? I,m from Hyde!!! "  I had my little neice over and shes 3 years old, by the time she went back to her mum I had her saying "mummy "with a broad Ashton accent .I noticed that my son in the States adopts a slight American accent when needed , he says its easier for the Americans otherwise they dont catch what hes saying .
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Going back to the original subject, I have been examining old maps and reading a few books in the last couple of days and noticed a few things.

Katherine Street was spelt "Katharine" on the 1894 map.

The Penny Meadow section of Katherine Street was not built until some time after the other section. Although the locals referred to it as "Penny Meadow" the name was not changed until August 1962!

There was a topic a while ago asking how many "squares" there were in Ashton. There used to be a Marland Square in front of the Bowling Green pub at the bottom of what is now Penny Meadow.

If you have seen yesterday's photo blog entry you will have read that Stamford Street had originally been called Henrietta Street and the current Henrietta Street was built after the other was changed to Stamford Street.

I also spotted that the houses on Queen Square, Mossley Road were named Queen Street on the 1894 map. I then noticed that they are built in alignment with Queen Street that runs off Stamford Street near the Parochial School. A map in the Local Studies Library shows that there had indeed been a plan to join the two up, as part of a grid of new streets west of what is now Montague Road.
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Very interesting to know your area from past days thank you Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I have cosulted my friend again she said it is in a book called England in Ashton-Under-Lyne by Mrs Boardman that Penny Meadow got its name from The Minister of St Michaels and she used a lot of Documents that are stored in Preston Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14 PM »
I've got the version by Winifred Bowman and it says the same thing!    ;)
Martin

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 12:09 PM »

I have just seen that Ashton Civic Society are having a talk on Tuesday 27th April called

"What's In a Name? - A History of Ashton's Street Names."

The talk is by Ray Hoerty a Blue Badge Guide.

It is at the Welcome Inn at the side of Ashton  Town Hall at 7.30pm.

Entrance fee 1

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Yes Heather I am going to that been to a few of the Civic things in the past the last one was to the Armoury. Also the new History Around Tameside is out on tuesday hoping to have another article in it . Fudge

Ashtonian54

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Ask him when Blandford St Became Marlborough St.

Ian 

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I never managed to ask him about blanford st but some I asked said as far as the were aware it was still blandford st. But found out Scotland St was once Town St changed because people use to pay there tax to St Michael's Church and Scot means Taxes and if people were to poor to pay they use to ask not to pay that's were you get scot free. Cavendish St was a very important st in the history of Ashton. Stamford st was for the wealthy, George St the traders little streets like Wood and Wellington St were for the poor. Old Sq was called the Circus because that is were they set up. Albion St means the world, Glebe as in the St meant church land. And Penny Meadow was given to the minister so he could get tax from it and was named that in the 19th century there was a bit more than that but that is the gist of what I found out Fudge

Ashtonian54

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 07:28 PM »
I found it on the "1885" map, If you look just of William St in the Ryecroft area you can see it says Blandford Street
Todays Blandford St is the 2nd one north of Burlington St (If you count Newman St). In 1885 it was still the Cricket Field!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 11:37 AM »
hi dont forget dungeon street when did it become market street  :D