Author Topic: STAMFORD BOYS SCHOOL  (Read 38549 times)

greeny

• View Profile
STAMFORD BOYS SCHOOL
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:40 AM »
hi i know this topic was on the old board , and there were a few of the old boys that went there so i thought it would be a good topic to continue , i went there from 1960 to 1964 , the house that i was in was crompton and the headmaster was mr rogers , deputy head was mr donnely , i thought it was a good school and there are many memories of the school on the old board  :D

jaywit

• View Profile
Re: STAMFORD BOYS SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 02:09 PM »
When I was there Whitehead was headmaster,Rodgers,music,Donnelly ,art and 3A.

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:27 PM »
when i was there around 1940 duncan was headmaster roberts music  farmer buck sciencedobson p.e. ?? i thinks

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:21 AM »
I left Stamford in August 1939 & from memory there was Roberts (music), Buckley (Science), Friar (also Science), Dobson (Physical Training), Donnelly (Art), Black (History & (he could throw a decent piece of Chalk)), Oldham (Metalwork) Higson (? )(Woodwork) Turner & the Headmaster was Duncan. When Mr Duncan took class we all used to try to not sit in the front desks so we didn't get a shower.  I remember him for he tried to introduce Baseball to us & one day he was behind the batter all togged up but lifted  the Face-guard to say something & the ball hit him in the Mouth. I don't know why but we never saw the baseball tackle again. Buckley only had one eye & he always thought the kids were having a go at him. He was nasty tempered guy & was always despised by the kids -- I don`t think anyone liked him at all. Jayess

Ashtonian54

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28 PM »
Our sports teacher used to take his eye out and put it on the desk.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:05 PM »
here are some of the teacher i can remember turner , oldham . sidebottom ,taylor , windows , howorth , gidman , humpries .smith ,jones , hallsworth , school hymn jerusalem , best house crompton ha ha  :D

Mr Chips

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Greeny wrote:

"best house crompton " ????

Cr@ppy Crompton
Dirty Dalton
Sh$ty Shaftesbury
King Kenworthy.

Master Chips: 1c 2c 3c 4c 1958 -1962

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:26 AM »
wasn't that  kiss arse  kenworthy cheers k.o.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Greeny wrote:

"best house crompton " ????

Cr@ppy Crompton
Dirty Dalton
Sh$ty Shaftesbury
King Kenworthy.

Master Chips: 1c 2c 3c 4c 1958 -1962
I started off in 1c for the first day,had a few tests,Turner took the class.Looking around the class I felt a bit dissolousioned.The next day I was in 1a then 2,3,4,
Shaftesbury,1st year Thistlethwaite,can't remember 2nd,3rd Donnelly,4th,Eggleston

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:12 PM »
The ex headmaster of Stamford Norman Denis Braithwaite died at his home in Marple last Christmas Eve.. 24.12.2008. RIP.
The Black Knight rides again!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 09:56 PM »
hi was the sea cadets stationed at the rear of the school , and the tuck shop on crompton street there in 1940s

Mr Chips

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Jaywit wrote:

"I started off in 1c for the first day"

I did as well but I loved it so much - I stayed - I think that my intake was the first to go in for the GCE, so they introduced a fifth year - I got promoted to 5b - but left at Christmas.

Ist  year we had Geoff Sidebottom, 2nd was Ray Bracegirddle, 3rd: Neil McConnell, 4th I think was J B Donelley, I seem to think that Trevor Rogers took us in the 5th, I wagged it half the time and remember very little (hoping that senility will help later), my report would read: Late 0,  Absent 54. 

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 02:06 PM »
hi was the sea cadets stationed at the rear of the school , and the tuck shop on crompton street there in 1940s
Seem to remember a building up the hill from Crompton st.This was where the sea cadets were I think.I bought my first tabs at the tuck shop,  "Compass",didn't smoke very long,sick as a dog after 10 Woodbines all after one another,I learn fast!!!!

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 02:30 PM »
the sea cadets used the school i joined 1940 got called up after 4years and mr.bevan said you won a raffle get down the pit and 60years later blair said thankyou and sent us a badge cheers kennyo

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:40 AM »
hi so the sea cadets were linked to stamford school in the forties , they were still there in the 60s. did they have any links with the army or r a f  in the forties ? with having ashton baracks just up the road from stamford . i know when i went to stamford there were quite a few kids that went , that lived at the baracks but that is the only connection i know , that was when there were lots stationed at lady smiths baracks which as gone now but not forgotten , there is a bit of the old wall and gateway left  :)