Author Topic: Barnes Family (May/Mellor) Ashton-under-Lyne  (Read 12401 times)

ppam

• View Profile
Barnes Family (May/Mellor) Ashton-under-Lyne
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Hello,

my name is Philip May and I am trying to find information on my family. Together with my father, William Stuart May, born 16.03.1937, I am trying to put together the pieces we have....

My grandparents were:

William Stuart May, born 08.05.1893 in Chisworth as his parents were travelling from one job to the next (his father was an assistant manager of a coal mine - dont ask me where).
Marion Barnes, born 08.01.1901 in Ashton-under-Lyne

My great grandparents were:

James Barnes, born 1860(watercolor/lithographic artist) and Sarah Ann Barnes (Mellor), who married in September 1882 (St. Micheal, Ashton-under-Lyne)

James' father was Isaac Barnes, Innkeeper, cabinet maker and undertaker in Ashton-under-Lyne.

He had a brother named William, born 1862(?)

I have a couple of addresses and I also know that the pub "Corporation Arms" was run by my great-great grandfather.

Is there a possibility of obtaining photographs? Or does anyone have a collection of old Ashton photographs?

I know - I havent got much info, but maybe someone can help me.

As I don't live in the UK it isn't easy for me to go into the archives and look for myself.

Best regards

Philip

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Barnes Family (May/Mellor) Ashton-under-Lyne
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Hello Philip.

The following is an extract from a book about pubs in Ashton....

Corporation, 10 Albermarle (or Albemarle) Street

"According to William Howard, the first licensee, the house was built in 1847-48 by a Mr Jackson.  Howard obtained a beer licence in 1867, by which time he was the owner.

In the following year Isaac Barnes took over as owner and licensee.  He applied unsuccessfully for a full licence in 1871 and 1877, although he did get a wine licence.  Mr Barnes then spent 1,000 (according to him) on the premises - building a new kitchen, rooms for travellers at the rear and a stable.  He got his full licence in 1880."

Apparently, he was there from 1868 to 1898.

I think this is the pub (behind the road sign).

Another view.

This is a recent view - although it may have shut down since.

For information, there's another pub in Ashton, the Corporation Arms on Stockport Road, Guide Bridge (given the wrong address in Tameside Archives [yet again]) but it doesn't appear that Isaac Barnes had any connection with that one.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Welcome to the message board, Philip.
Have you details of your ancestors from the censuses or would you like me to look them up?
I can check 1841,1851, 1861, 1871 1881  1891 & 1901.

Where would you like photos of?  The Tameside Image Archive is a good source and you can search it by keyword
Meg
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

ppam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Hello Bill,

thank you very much for the info that is very interesting.

I had found an image of the pub "Corporation Arms" on the Tameside Image Archive.... http://www.tameside.gov.uk/images/jpgl/t07087.jpg

Is this the one you mentioned as not being connected to Isaac Barnes?

Every little bit helps.

As far as I know Isaac Barnes had his undertakers shop in 1, Whiteacre Rd. Do you know if there are any pictures of it? I found some newer ones in the Tameside Image Archive but they obviously have nothing to do with the undertaker....

Philip

ppam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Hello Meg,

thank you very much for you offer.

I only have information on the household of Isaac Barnes, 10 Albemarle Rd. from the 1881 cencus.

Other than that I have nothing.

Although I do know that Isaac Barnes was vice president of the Manchester, Salford and District Funeral Undertakers Association, acoording to 1895 commercial Directory Manchester-Salford.

Thats about it....

Philip

chrisandandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:10 PM »
The pub was called Sullivans recently,but i think it has closed and been converted to flats,I will check next time we are in the town centre.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:17 AM »
The pub was called Sullivans recently,but i think it has closed and been converted to flats,I will check next time we are in the town centre.
Just nip down and film it!
flippin' eck  flip it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ashtonian54?feature=mhw4
Just when you think you are safe!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Are all new American cars silver as well?
Martin

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09 AM »
That's the thing I noticed too. Martin. Doesn't matter what make, silver cars in various shades, are taking over.

....and according to the Kiwis

Flippin' 'eck, indeed, Ian. Hope there wasn't too much damage - nothing is safe these days!       :-\
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Hi Philip
I think this your grandfather in the 1901 census

William MAY born 1893  Chisworth Derbyshire aged 7    living with his family at 33 Gibraltar Lane, Haughton Green (nr Denton Lancs)

The family are as follows:
Henry May  Head of household married aged 41  occupation coal miner hewer   born Bradford Lancs, (I checked that this was actually the lancashire Bradford i.e. on eastern outskirts of Manchester rather than the Yorkshire one near Leeds)
Martha E May aged 41 married born Mellor Derbyshire
Annie May aged 15  cotton weaver   b. Compstall
Betsy Dean May aged 15  cotton weaver  b. Mellor  (I thought these sisters must be twins so seems odd they have different places of birth)
Oswald May aged 10  b  Compstall
William May aged 7  b. Chisworth  (transcribed as Chesworth but clearly Chisworth in image of actual census)
Elizabeth May aged  5   b Bredbury
Harry May aged 2    b. Haughton Green

BACK LATER   Meg  :D

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:15 PM »
1891 census
living at Compstall Road (no number)  Ludworth/Chisworth  (part of Glossop High Peak)
Henry May marr  aged 31 coal miner born Bradford Lancs
Martha E May  marr aged 31           born Mellor Derbyshire
Annie May aged 6                         born Compstall Derbyshire
Betsy Dean May aged 5                 born Mellor  (that answers query from 1901 census- they were a yr or less apart)
Oswald May aged 3 months            born Compstall

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 02:26 PM »
By the time we get back to 1881 census  Henry May is still single aged 21. (I will look for his marriage to Martha E. ?? shortly)
But he is shown as the son of JOHN BARNES  living at The Rope and Anchor, Compstall Rd  Ludworth and Chisworth.
However it's unlikely that Henry is the son of John Barnes as John was born about 1845 which means he would only have been 15 when Henry was born abt 1860.   Possibly Anna Maria Barnes wife of John Barnes is actually Henry's mother and she remarried.

This is the family as shown in 1881 census

JOHN BARNES aged 36 married coal miner   b Cheshire Marple
ANNA MARIA BARNES wife age 48            b. Gloucestershire Cromhall
HENRY MAY  SON UNM. aged 21  coal miner    b Bradford Lancs
AMELY (?) MAY  DAUGHTER aged 18  cotton card room hand   b  Yorkshire Staincross
ANNIE MAY  duaghter aged 16          ---ditto---------------------------ALSO BORN STAINCROSS

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 02:34 PM »
1871 CENSUS
My hunch was correct and Ann Maria May married John Barnes after the death of William May, her husband  (although not found details of this marriage as yet)

Here are the family in 1871 living at 7 Dodworth Rd Court 1, Barnsley Yorkshire

WILLIAM MAY MARRIED AGED 49  miner out of work- sick born  Gloucestershire Cromhall
ANN MARIA MAY  aged 38                                           born Gloucestershire  Cromhall
Henry May aged 11   coal miner trapper        b Manchester Lancs
Amelia May  dau  8    born Yorkshire Darton
Ann E. May dau  6    born Yorkshire Darton

Death of WILLIAM MAY  1871  Dec Q  Barnsley  GRO ref 9c, 112   aged 48

ppam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 03:07 PM »
Hello Meg,

WOW!!!! All that information is fantastic!!

I told my dad and he can actually remember some of the names.

Thank you so much!!

Philip

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Hi Philip
It's a pleasure. I enjoy tracking down these families.
Certainly Amelia seems to be a family name.  I have traced William May (your 3x great grandfather?) back to 1841 census and his father was also William May born about 1796 Gloucestershire and his mother was Amelia  born also about 1796 in the same county.  (The 1841 census rounds adults' ages up or down to nearest 5 years and also only indicates if the person was born in the county (Y=Yes, N=No)
William, the son born about 1822 was 19 in 1841 census and there was also a Robert Barrett aged 20 living with them.  They were living in Cromhall Abbotts Cromhall Lygon, Gloucestershire.  William the elder was an ag.lab. (agricultural labourer)  William junior a coal miner.

By 1851 William May born 1822 was aged 29 and married to Emma aged 26. They were living in Cromhall but had two children born in Wales
John May aged 6 (so born about 1845) and Amelia (that name again) aged 6 months b abt 1850. Both born Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales
So it would seem that William May was married twice. I have found a likely marriage  WILLIAM MAY to EMMA BENNETT Thornbury district of Glos. (where Cromhall is)  Sept Quarter 1843  vol.11  p 563 (GRO reference). By 1861 William was with Ann Maria. I have tried to trace John and Amelia in 1861.I have found a possible John May born 1845 Monmouthshire aged 16 nephew of a George and Mary Cook. But cannot find Amelia who would be about 10/11 in 1861.  Cannot find a death for Emma May either so mysteries at the moment.
Will keep hunting!