Author Topic: Capitals & Lowercase words  (Read 13555 times)

Jayess

• View Profile
Capitals & Lowercase words
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:18 AM »
Reading through some of the topics a lot of members seem to write all in lower case words with no capitals to denote a change of sentence. This of course makes it hard to decipher what they are trying to say or explain. I think that at sometime or other someone told them, that to type in capitals means they are shouting & that this is not done. It is wrong to email etc something in ALL capitals for then it is classed as shouting.  I read a post in genealogy this morning & to decypher this because of the lack of capitals was certainly very hard to sort out. I can accept that a word is spelt wrong for everyone including myself do put a wrongly spelt word or two in. Please make reading a pleasure not a puzzle. I sure that most will agree with me. ---Jayess

Meg

• View Profile
Re: Capitals & Lowercase words
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Hear, Hear, Jayess!  I hate the email convention of dropping capitals and missing out full stops.

On family history sites it's much more helpful to have separate lines showing individuals' names with dates of birth/death etc (where known) rather than a continuous narrative which can be indecipherable.
for example:

George Granger
b 1814 
married Joanna Little (born ca 1820)

Children of George Granger and Joanna Little:

Edgar Granger born 1844

Sara Granger born 1847
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:23 AM »
My pet hate is incorrect (or missing) commas!  I was in a shopping centre a month or two ago and there was a huge professionally printed poster advertising the restaurant's cream tea's, coffee's etc  >:(
I think the omission of punctuation (not full stops) has been going on officially for some time but I came across a new book for young children the other day.  It gave an example of a sentence without commas and then one showing how the meaning could be totally changed by the addition of a comma or two. Maybe the punctuation brigade is proving a point.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Presume you've read 'Eats Shoots and Leaves'  by Lynne Truss- a punctuationist's (?) Bible.
Tried very hard to get my commas in the correct places there! :)

The incorrect use of the apostrophe is commonly known as the greengrocer's apostrophe as in:

Pear's   6 bob a pound  Apple's  5 bob a pound

Mind you it doesn't help when Microsoft corrects you incorrectly, if you see what I mean especially the use of its/it's
Its is the ownership one   e.g. The cat sat on its mat
It's is where there's a letter missing, hence the apostrophe   e.g. It's (it is) a long way to Tipperary

Lesson over. Lunchtime   :)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Meg is quite right.

If someone hasn't taken the trouble to give me the courtesy of setting out their family information in a way that I can understand it, I am very reluctant to help.  The convention is to make it clear and the only things that should be in capital letters are the surnames people are researching.

I think it is only polite to save the person you are asking for help - not to let them spend ages extracting dates and surnames and trying to decipher which question they are asking.

On punctuation though, having just finished compiling the History Alive- Tameside magazine with two ex English teachers on the proof reading team who disagree with one another, I must admit that I am totally dizzy about semi colons, colons and the Oxford Comma, and whether a comma always precedes but and which.

And! Microsoft with its American punctuation - Waaah!!*!! >:(

Has anyone else noticed that more and more people are putting the comma in the wrong place ,like this?
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 02:25 PM »
Meg - love that book  :)

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:12 PM »
hi big sister! Better make sure I make no mistakes here lol. You are right. We can be a bit lazy on the old grammar but I must admit when texting or chatting we do resort to the fast way of talking as it doesn't seem like the old way of communicating. We just need to remember how to converse properly when needed 8)

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:16 PM »
so lng s u dnt tlk in txt spk i dnt gv a dam  :D
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:39 PM »
Hi..whats the matter can you not read without checking for faults in a person letters,  We can not all be clever,what does it matter its still readable,even if a comma or full stop is missing you can still read it,I notice its all the  females who HAVE rote the letters   ;D :o ::) :-*  ;D ;) :)
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

Vanessa

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 11:49 PM »
I didn't ;D

Vanessa

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Wow, when I was going off on one, I didn't mean the kind of friendly one liners, but when faced with a whole page of text, with no paragraphs, full stops, or capital letters it takes a lot of work for the reader to make sense of it all.  I still say that this is basic bad manners.

This is not usually from older people, who whatever their skills on a computer, did learn to write letters properly at school.  It's a dreadful modern phenomen which came in with texting and mostly from people under forty.

I wasn't talking about the finer points of punctuation, because even the experts don't always agree with one another and I get my knuckles rapped for this as well.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Mr Chips

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:23 AM »
I have always found it best to keep my "dislikes" to myself. Now I know how to annoy Meg and Gay with, badder grammer than watt there is used to and too annoy Martin by puttin anonymous on his photo blog when making a comment.

Seriously though, I am dyslexic and it is easy for me to read text - but having no punctuations and not using capital letters makes it hard for me to read two lines of modern writing - so I usually don't bother. I would think those that believe that sloppy writing is wrong  - dismiss it  - and that is the unseen problem for those that use it.

BTW.
Should the Subject line be Caps & Smalls or Upper and Lower Case and not a mixture of the two?

gina44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17 PM »
I agree i dont always put capitals and full stops,but i will try to in the future,sorrryyyy, lol.

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Hmmm Not a bad response, Keep up the good work.  By By    ;D  :D   ::)
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23 AM »
hi its very rare that i use capital letters and full stops . when i am posting , but i can only blame my self for doing so  ;D  ;D  ;D