Author Topic: Market webcam back  (Read 301384 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Market webcam back
« Reply #600 on: November 05, 2017, 09:44 PM »
its  bunty plot  time  again have you all got your  treacle   toffee and parkin ready??

I think we've said this before on here, Kenneth, the Bonfire Night tradition, and all the parts that went to make it, now seem to have become, largely, a thing of the past. Some parts still limp along but I can't remember the last time I saw an absolutely "knackered" Guy being carted round by a gang of scruffy kids, for monetary offerings. As for, "Penny for the Guy", forget it, it would have to be at least 50p (or even a pound) now - modern day children just wouldn't accept coppers. Bonfires up back alleys are now a complete thing of yesteryear - you just don't see them. Fireworks are still about, but not absolutely everywhere, as they used to be. Shame really, end of a good old British tradition - the whole street turned out and made it a night to remember.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 05, 2017, 09:56 PM »
yes  making up a guy would be to much like  work these days for the kids pity but thats  life..  cheers

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 06, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Reminiscing again.
After recent revelations,a modernday Guy Fawkes would be welcomed.
just a thought.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 08, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Here in leafy Lytham it's been the quietest run up to bonfire night I can remember. We usually dread it because our little terrier dog goes mad when he hears bangers go off and it's impossible to shut him up. Very eerie! The next problem time is New Year's day. I also saw the first Guy Fawkes guy for yonks in Lytham complete with little boy and collecting tin. He was actually shouting "Penny for the guy". I don't think he has heard of inflation. It made me smile because the face on the guy was that of a certain Donald Trump.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 11, 2017, 11:33 PM »
how was the weather for armistice  day we have  snow at wasaga  beach  brrrr

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 12, 2017, 12:07 AM »
You're not the only one with snow for Remembrance Day,  KennethO, although the ceremonies at the Cenotaph in Ottawa took place with a lovely  blue sky.     We had a beautiful and sunny day on Wed.,, then on Thursday the grey clouds rolled in off the Lake and sure enough, the temperature dropped to make it feel like minus 12C and the snow began (about 2" that stayed)  and today (the 11th) it only reached -5C with a cold wind.  Most of the leaves are still on the trees, so I hope they fall and can be raked away before the real winter sets in.  My Burning Bushes and Japanexe Maples are a  brilliant scarlet and look beautiful, but they won't last long now.    :( 

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 12, 2017, 02:42 AM »
Yes I watched it from Ottawa it didn't look too bad weather wise

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 12, 2017, 11:10 AM »
The temperature as dropped here as well looks like a long cold winter keep warm and safe Fudge