Author Topic: William Shaw (Bardsley Brewery) as opposed to William Shaw (Dukinfield Brewery)  (Read 26589 times)

George Shaw

• View Profile
I'm looking for some help, please, regarding (amongst other things) the whereabouts of some properties in Ashton-under-Lyne.

The Bardsley Brewery was at one time owned by William Shaw.

William, at the time resident at Woodfield House, Lockwood, Huddersfield, married Emma Bentley at Hanover Square, Middlesex, on 3 August 1843. William being a wealthy landowner, the couple initially lived essentially in retirement at Wentbridge House, Darrington, Pontefract and later at Harrogate. This William died in Bardsley, Ashton-under-Lyne, on 18 August 1880. His wife, Emma, was the youngest sister of Robert Bentley, the founder c. 1832 of what later became the Shaw & Bentley Brewery at Bardsley, Ashton-under-Lyne. Robert was the son of Timothy Bentley who had founded the Lockwood Brewery in Huddersfield. As Robert's Bardsley brewery grew, he very soon entered into partnership with John Carr (c. 1833), now trading as Bentley & Carr until Robert's death when his son, Robert John Bentley assumed his position. William, who had brewing experience gained at the Starbeck Brewery, in Harrogate, became Robert John Bentley's partner when he purchased the Bardsley brewing concern in 1856 after it fell into financial disarray during the year previous. On the creation of the new partnership, the concern began to trade under the style, Shaw & Bentley.

In 1871, William is shown as living with wife, Emma, at ??Lime Spring House??, Ashton-under-Lyne, being a brewer employing 23 men. Have I read the address correctly and, if so, where abouts was this property. I can't trace William in the 1861 Census. Help would be appreciated in finding out more.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Although I was born and grew up in Ashton I must confess to never having heard of Bardsley Brewery. Yet according to Winifred Bowman in her 1950 book '5000 Acres Of Old Ashton', the brewery stood in the grounds of what became Thomas Kerfoot Pharmaceuticals at Bardsley Vale. She says:-

'In the grounds of the works, under the shade of the trees, the old brewery building which used to be Messrs. Shaw and Bentley's Bardsley Brewery is still quietly waiting to be used again, although it saw life of a sort in the 1939-1945 war as a civil defence store for the Rural District Council.

Sorry I can't help with William's address.

Meg

• View Profile
The name " Springfield house" comes to mind in connection with Bardsley brewery which, as son of nomad, describes stood in the grounds of what became thomas Kerfoot pharmaceutical. I believe that some buildings still exist and are now apartments.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

George Shaw

• View Profile
Lime Spring House (as opposed to Springfield House) is what appears to be written as William Shaw's address on the 1871 Census. I don't think this forum permits me to attach files with posts but I've uploaded the relevant page to a free file host for members to download. Hope that's OK?

http://we.tl/gqT7BfKD48

Albert

• View Profile
      There was a Springfield House was on Stamford st East where the collage is now during the war we went "Digging for Victory" from the      Stamford Boys school with Mrs Ferns Miss Kershaw and Miss Glover 

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Bardsley Brewery has been converted into apartments and is now called Springwood Hall.

Martin

George Shaw

• View Profile
Thank you all for your responses. Glad to see the building retained. Not so lucky in Leigh in my neck of the woods. The George Shaw Brewery was earmarked for conversion to flats but ended up being demolished!  ::)

PJackson

• View Profile
Here is an older picture showing the brewery - http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw032249

George Shaw

• View Profile
Appreciated, thanks.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Adding to this discussion somewhat belatedly, I have just been reading that William Shaw, of Bardsley Brewery, was living at Riversvale Hall between 1847 and 1868.

Riversvale Hall was around half a mile from the brewery.
Martin