Poll

Who will be the first Labour Politician to fall on the sword ??

Hazel Blears
Jaqui Smith
Gordon Brown
Baroness Uddin
Some minor sacrificial lamb no one has ever heard of
None of the above - after all they have done nothing wrong...
None - as none of them have a shred of decency
Who Cares ? The Tories are just  as bad

Author Topic: Expenses Sweepstake (Poll)  (Read 48323 times)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Expenses Sweepstake (Poll)
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Talking of right wing though, what could be more right wing than this present government!!
You might find out if Cameron gets in! Remember Mrs T?
Martin

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Tony Blair and Gordon Brown make Thatcher look positively tame! Aftyer all, she didn't make us the surveillance society we now are. She didn't want ID cards and she didn't introduce terrorism legislation which was then used against ordinary people and even ICELAND! Nor did she attack a foreign country when the vast majority of the people were against such a move. Yes, I remember Mrs Thatcher alright!!!
The Black Knight rides again!

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Anyone who worked in Public Service during Maggie's Reign, remembers her alright. 'Unemployment is a Price worth Paying", "There is no such thing a Community".  She was the chief inspiration for the start of deregulation for the City and the rise of the Champagne supping, Porsche driving Yuppie Vultures who eventually nearly brought everything down.

I am still rather sad that New Labour took us too far the the middle, but without that they were never going to be electable and we would never have got rid of Maggie's legacy.  Labour's downfall was us being best buddies with GeorgeW.  I doubt that if Obama had been president during this same period things would ever have descended into the current mess.

For the first time, I am really confused which way to vote, but am really worried that a vote for one of the minority parties would let the BNP in.  UKIP may sound convincing with their friendly overtures to Europe, but in reality are wolves in sheep's clothing with their own self interest groups to protect, big business, landowners, men in grey suits etc, trying to hang onto as much of their existing powerbase as possible.

Personally, I'm not against ID cards, surveillance, DNA etc - I am not guilty of anything, ifn fact it might protect me from being falsely accused of anything.  I am sure that if the technology had been available in Maggie's day.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Same here I don't know who to vote for this time. I am not against ID cards or surveillance camera's if it helps to reduce crime. Can't say I would vote for BNP as they remind me to much of the Nazi party not sure about the UKIP. I don't want to have the euro and I am glad to say they relented about Pounds and ounces and feet and yard's as I still use them. We are the United Kingdom and we should say what we want not other European Country's . Also I'm not racist but I do think we have over stretched our limit to the amount of people coming in to the country but I must vote because of how the women's Suffragette's fought for women's rights so I will continue to search my conscience till voting day. Fudge ???

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Tony Blair and Gordon Brown make Thatcher look positively tame! Aftyer all, she didn't make us the surveillance society we now are. She didn't want ID cards and she didn't introduce terrorism legislation which was then used against ordinary people and even ICELAND! Nor did she attack a foreign country when the vast majority of the people were against such a move. Yes, I remember Mrs Thatcher alright!!!
You forgot to mention coming to power on a slogan of "Labour Isn't Working" and then trebling the unemployment figures, selling off council houses so that we are now desperately short of social housing in many areas, selling off publicly owned utilities so that the profits went into the pockets of shareholders instead of back into the public purse, destroying our coal mining, heavy engineering and manufacturing industries, presiding over a culture of greed and selfishness, and interest rates of up to 15%....
Martin

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03 PM »
This is what you get for living in a free society...too many choices !!Over here the president is in for life , there is no opposition at all (makes it much easier ::))phones , computers, tapped no one knows anything , and everyone is afraid to ask , so don,t complain, change the system with your right to vote and get rid of the corrupt politicians , you CAN do it  :)
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

musky

• Now Living The Dream !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18 PM »
I think the BNP will take some seats in the Euro elections, Due to the expenses fiasco.
*****If Life Begin's At Forty That Makes Me A Teenager Again ****

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Trouble is Martin, Labour still isn't working! We have just had the biggest rise in the unemployment figures for over thirty years! Also, do you seriously think we should still be burning coal? The environment is in a bad enough state as it is!
I can't really see what is wrong with people owning their own homes? I know social housing is in short supply and this is not helped by council flats and homes being given out to young teenagers. Too many have chosen to get pregnant in order to be housed and receive benefit I am afraid!  This is well documented too.
As for the public utilities, does anyone seriously believe that the state could have afforded to put in the investment needed to bring them up to scratch? We are taxed to death at the moment as it is. Look at the manufacturing industry we have now, during the last twelve years British manufacturing has been virtually wiped out. What do we make here in the UK now?
Why do Labour governments always end in paralysis, chaos and bankruptcy? It happens every time. This bunch came in saying they were going to be whiter than white. They talked of Tory sleaze but with this administration corruption and sleaze are endemic. Add to all this the fact that we have far too much heavy-handed government and too much centralisation and regulation, and the majority of the country will be glad to see the back of them and will breathe a collective sigh of relief when they are gone. Mind you, we wont forget Brown and Co in a hurry as our grandchildren will still be paying off the debts they have piled up!
By the way, if everything Thatcher did was so very bad, why has this government not reversed any of it? The Trade Union reforms for example??

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 10:42 PM »
This is a really stimulating discussion Assheton, and I would love to discuss all your points one-by-one, but I think we might still be discussing them in 2010. My Mike, and I used to start arguing during Question Time on Thursday evenings and could still be arguing through to Saturday, mainly because he continued to trot out Daily Mail headlines to me as accepted statements of fact, without delving deeper into the actualities.

His arguments changed though as he became redundant and then severely disabled - he then became more aware of his latent tolerance and social conscience.

I still miss the banter!!
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 11:08 PM »
Trouble is Martin, Labour still isn't working! We have just had the biggest rise in the unemployment figures for over thirty years!

The Tories had posters made showing winding dole queues (who were really a few actors who appeared again and again in the same photo) and the slogan was intended to be a pun attacking Labour for having 1 million out of work. However, when the Tories got into power the jobless figures rose to well over 3 million - and that was less than 30 years ago.

Also, do you seriously think we should still be burning coal? The environment is in a bad enough state as it is!

We still do burn coal. There are still coal burning power stations - in fact there are plans to build new ones (see link). The trouble is that a lot of the coal now has to be imported from places like Poland. Transporting heavy stuff like coal for thousands of miles is hardly good for the environment.

I can't really see what is wrong with people owning their own homes?

I didn't say there was, but not everyone wants to or can afford to own their own home. A lot of the people who bought their council homes got caught out when interest rates went up and they couldn't afford the payments.

I know social housing is in short supply and this is not helped by council flats and homes being given out to young teenagers. Too many have chosen to get pregnant in order to be housed and receive benefit I am afraid!  This is well documented too.

In the Daily Mail, perhaps. It's the kind of story their readers like.
Martin

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2009, 12:20 AM »
[soapbox]

Cameron doesn't want an election, he's full of $#1t, rather obvious and pathetic really. MP's haven't yet realised that the game is up, after the hammering they will receive at the elections on the 4th I can see the honest MP's realising the real situation and kicking out the dishonest ones.

If the Liberals kick out their dodgy MP's (Flipping homes etc) they can instantly claim to be the only party to have sorted themselves out and to have clean hands as well as promise to make sure that no party has the absolute power that the Conservatives and Labour have misused.

The Lib - Dems could become a serious player if they play their cards right.

Just an idea.....

If I may coin the phrase that has been floating around a bit recently "In a democracy you get the politicians you deserve".

I reckon a General Election should be called, only then will voters get their chance to really show how angry they are. If you then re-elect the troughers then you truly deserve them.

On a side note I really don't believe Gordon or the Speaker have what it takes to reinstall the integrity of the House of Commons. Until both are gone there will be no end.
[/soapbox]  :)
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Bill, that is very funny!!!! 

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009, 07:51 PM »
hi i can see a general election soon , the tories a pushing for it , they say vote of confident in  mps ,they should sack them all and start  again and bring back tony blair  :D :D :D

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2009, 08:02 PM »
It would be good to have a general election but I can't see brown going for it. He knows he will lose and so he'll hang on till the bitter end.
An election would be good though and it would give us all a chance to get rid of this rotten parliament and weak government.

musky

• Now Living The Dream !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2009, 08:46 PM »
TAXI FOR MARTIN.  ;D
*****If Life Begin's At Forty That Makes Me A Teenager Again ****