Author Topic: FISHING AROUND ASHTON  (Read 27238 times)

greeny

• View Profile
FISHING AROUND ASHTON
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:46 PM »
HI  i have started fishing again after 20years , do you know of any good fishing ponds in the area i was surprised that that a pond on palace road is still fishing ,i use to be a member when it was central anglers ,there were three resors there which i thought were all filled in , but it brought many memories back when i fished there the other week the pond is smaller but the fishing was good ,bardsley canal use to be good years back do they still fish there ? i also have often seen them at daisynook but is it good fishing there and are fish stll being pulled out ? :D

musky

• Now Living The Dream !!
    • View Profile
Re: FISHING AROUND ASHTON
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Hi Greeny. I see a lot of people passing my house going fishing to the canal in Bardsley. There is also Crime Lake but theres problems at the moment (see link to website)  http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/1113808_mill_fire_wiped_out_hundreds_of_fish
*****If Life Begin's At Forty That Makes Me A Teenager Again ****

Ashtonian54

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:43 PM »
HI  i have started fishing again after 20years , do you know of any good fishing ponds in the area i was surprised that that a pond on palace road is still fishing ,i use to be a member when it was central anglers ,there were three resors there which i thought were all filled in , but it brought many memories back when i fished there the other week the pond is smaller but the fishing was good ,bardsley canal use to be good years back do they still fish there ? i also have often seen them at daisynook but is it good fishing there and are fish stll being pulled out ? :D

In bygone days we fished the Ashton Canal near Stalybridge and on other occassions Stamford Park Lake

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:05 PM »
hi i think i will give crime lake a miss after reading that musky , i wonder if sammys basin been effected?i in bygone astonian54 i have fished the canal near to stalybridge and stamford park boating lake at the rear is where i first started fishing , with a rod i made from a garden cane that what got me hooked on the sport,hobby back in the late 50s  :D

Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:12 AM »
First of all geeny i dont know anything about fishing but ive heard my nephew say he was going fishing on the 'fleapit' when i asked where that was ,he said on Smallshaw lane . I have lived in Ashton for 60yrs and have never seen or heard of the 'fleapit ' before.

Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Sorry greeny i mis-spelt your name in that last post .

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31 PM »
If you realise that you have made a mistake, such as spelling someone's name wrong, just click "modify" and you can go back and change it!
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08 PM »
I Know the pond of Smallshaw Lane I think you pay to fish there but did not know the name of it. It is fenced of now with gates Fudge

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Going back about 65 years we used to fish at "The Brickie".It was on Smallshaw Lane just below St Johns.The name meant Brickyard.On the old maps I think there was a brickworks close to there,"The Perch Pit" which was about behind the Old Pegs Lantern and the "Raz",reservior close to Oldham Rd in Waterloo on the east side.
"Hunties Pond"top of Timperley Fold.Tommy used to chase us all the time! and the reservior behind the houses just above the farm which is now Marlands I think.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:05 AM »
hi jaywit i remember the raz  off oldham road there was i another pond near to that that was fenced off i think it was a flooded mine shaft they use to nick name the p--- pond , and jean the only other flea pit was known as the pavillion picture house on old street , the one off smallshaw lane use tobelong to hust anglers , and i can remember fishing the mill pond at ceader mill when i was a kid

gina44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Im sure the pond on smallshaw lane used to have a pig to guard it,wasnt it where the allotments were?,lol.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 01:22 PM »
hi the pond is on the allotments , i also remember pigs roaming around near there they once chased us when we went digging for worms in the pig muck  ;D

gina44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Yes,lol,we used to try to climb over to see what it would do.It was a right grumpy pig. ;D

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:35 PM »
most Pigs are!!

gina44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:54 PM »
lol!