Author Topic: Christ Church School, Waterloo  (Read 14705 times)

Vanessa

Re: Christ Church School, Waterloo
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:31 PM »
My mum said that the Ramsdens were a huge family living near the school so it will be the same family you remember. She couldn't remember where the Shevlins lived, but as there weren't many of that name in Ashton he must have come from the Downshaw Road family.

Ian, there were 2 Paul Shevlins born in the area in 1955, one in Audenshaw reg. dist. which covered Waterloo, so he must be the Paul I knew and one in Ashton, which must be the one you knew. Probably related though.

Vanessa

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 04:55 AM »
Hi
    Does anyone Know Terence Cassidy Terry Spruce or Peter Hebblethwaite they went to St Anns and were in my class at school they all lived in Waterloo  Peter Hebblethwaite is in Rome and has something to do with the Vatican I think.      herby

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14 AM »
Herby there was a Cassidy family who lived in Lees St Bardsley they moved there in the late 40s from Waterloo.There was Terence Moria Brenda Rose and Brian I think they went to St Anns
Kevin

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Hi Herby & Bardsley Crow,

I think you are correct about Terrance. The daughter, Brenda married Ambrose, Jim Davies's brother. They also lived in Bardsley on Ethel St. I think Hatthershaw. Terrance's wife was a little lady, full of fun and game to join in most things. I seem to remember (Sam) Abrose and Brenda's wedding was held at the Horseshoe Pub upstairs. Think that is why I remember Terrance's wife, she was up dancing the Can-Can etc, Terrance a very nice man.
Danny.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 05:38 PM »
My mum said that the Ramsdens were a huge family living near the school so it will be the same family you remember. She couldn't remember where the Shevlins lived, but as there weren't many of that name in Ashton he must have come from the Downshaw Road family.

Ian, there were 2 Paul Shevlins born in the area in 1955, one in Audenshaw reg. dist. which covered Waterloo, so he must be the Paul I knew and one in Ashton, which must be the one you knew. Probably related though.

Vanessa

The Paul I went to school with worked in Environment Health at Tameside for a while before progressing in his career in greener pastures.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 08:40 PM »
The Ramsden family lived on Reins Lee Rd just up the top of Store St so very near the school. There were 13 children in a 3 bedroomed house. My dad reckoned they slept in shifts. The Shevlins lived on the same estate but on Downshaw Rd. I seem to remember a Moira Shevlin who would be about my age (born 1947/8).
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 08:08 AM »
Hi Kevin
             I think you might of hit the nail. Terence used to live in Ney st. I went to their house a couple of times and there was a few kids when I was there, they were younger than Terry. I was at St anns from 1934 to 44.    herby   

wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Paul Shevlin had an older brother called Martin. His main claim to fame is that one Saturday morning after we had played a rugby match for De La Salle at Marple Grammar (he played for the school second 15 whereas I was in the under 14s), he asked the teacher if we could make our own way home by bus rather than taking the coach back to Salford.

He headed straight for the nearest pub with me in tow, put me behind the piano, and returned from the bar with two pints of Robinsons bitter. It was the start of a long term relationship (with the beer I mean, not Martin), and both my liver and my GP think he has a lot to answer for! 

Owdab

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Wombat
Your Paul Shevlin lived on Hall Road off Smallshaw Lane and had two older brothers, Martin and Bernard and a sister called Pauline. The family went to De La Salle school in Manchester.  Martin and Paul would play football with a gang of us on King Georges in the 60's. Happy days.

downshawer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I remember Paul Shevlin well, he was really nice kid. He lived at 41 Downshaw Road (I think) on the right-hand side as you walked down to Oldham Road and was one of about nine children: the ones I remember were Pete, Johnnie, Terry and Margaret. A colourful family - never a dull moment when Pete and Johnnie in particular were about!

PJackson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I was packing, getting ready to move back to Tameside and I found this:

I am on the back row, fourth from the right.

Artmak

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 08:42 PM »
I went Christ Church School in the mid 50's  I remember the headmaster was a Mr Siddall, two teachers I remember were Mrs Hessian and Mr Odell.  Mr Odell had a habit of punishing erring pupils by having them kneel on pencils.  Imagine that happening today.
Artmak