Author Topic: COTTON QUEENS  (Read 6026 times)

greeny

• View Profile
COTTON QUEENS
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:26 AM »
HI they started the cotton quenn in 1930 . the first girl to win it was a girl from glossop ,she worked in hyde and was called frances lockett , how did they pick the cotton queens ,did they enter one from every cotton mill ? or did they enter one from each district for instants hyde  , ashton . oldham . etc and would there be a record of the names of the woman that entered , i know the final was held at blackpool ,also what was  the year  cotton queen stopped ? thanks greeny

jan

• View Profile
Re: COTTON QUEENS
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:49 PM »
Hi Greeny.  Not sure if this will help but if you go to http://www.spinningtheweb.org.uk/journey.php?Title=Selling+cotton+learning+journey&step=4&theme=industry
and type in Cotton Queen in the global search there are quite a lot of articles (you need to keep going through the pages until you get to pages 121 and onwards.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:54 PM »
Can't find a list of Cotton Queens, but here's another site for you, Greeny, no competitions after 1939, it appears.  Frances Lockett could have been a film star, she was beautiful, wasn't she?    

http://www.lep.co.uk/memory-lane/When-cotton-ruled.5116148.jp

Denise   :)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:31 PM »
hi thanks for the cotton queen sites ,  i  thought it continued after the war can not find much about that i might after go into the local history at the library , the cotton queens covered a big area i am just looking for local  information , thanks greeny

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:41 PM »
Hi Greeny  -  A bit more info, plus a list of 9 winners, No1 - Miss Glossop, No2 - Miss Leigh, No6 - Miss Wigan, No7 - Miss Bolton.  No 10 - Miss Preston was Elsie Kearsley (as in my previous link), who didn't complete her year because of the outbreak of war. Doesn't list the other towns represented, but does confirm that the competition didn't resume after the war, due to a decline in the industry.    Denise   :)

http://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/s-cotton-queens.html

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:28 PM »
In the book "The Knight rides Out' by P.M. and D.L. Williams there's a chapter about the Cotton Queens of Ashton. The first cotton queen was crowned in 1930 and she was Miss Rose Fletcher (later of Pipe Band fame?).
1931 Queen Louie Fleming
1932 Lily Curran
"The following year saw the introduction of the Civic Queen which was the name chosen to supersede Cotton Queen."
 Civic Queen became Pageant Queen in 1934.
The Cotton industry was in decline in the 1930s and was systematically promoted throughout Lancashire.
There was a cotton exhibition at Ashton Town Hall in 1930. Over 11,000 people attended. There was even a song written;
"Cotton Land is in Jubilation
Cotton Land has a coronation
Everyone is in cotton array
for the Cotton Queen is crowned today  (don't think it made the top 10 :)

Girls performed dances in he pageant of 1930 carrying sashes of dyed cotton. The little tots were cotton pods  and a very small child threw cotton filaments from a basket.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 03:57 PM »
hi meg  thats great information for local cotton queens is that  correct about rose fletcher being the first for ashton  and is it the same one as rose fletcher pipe band ?   :D

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Wonder if the Lily Curran listed, was any relation to Elsie Curran (Mrs Mop of Black Knight Pageant fame). The Currans were a large well-known family in Ashton, some lived in the West End, when I was young and attended the same school.      Denise    :-\

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36 AM »
There where Currans at St Marys in the Forties Dot Curran and Brian Curran they lived around Hillgate I have a couple of School photographs with Dot and Brian they were cousins.
Kevin