Author Topic: pipe bands  (Read 7292 times)

thea

• View Profile
pipe bands
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:19 PM »
does anyone out there remember the rose fletcher pipe band. I have search but cannot find any information on it.I was taken to see them as a small girl and they are supposed to be relatives which is why i am trying to find out more information on them. ;D

Denise

• View Profile
Re: pipe bands
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Hi Thea,  I've sent you a couple of off-line messages. Hope they help.  Denise   8)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:30 PM »
One of my friends mum was related to Rose Fletcher ,She was a Fletcher before she married. Also my father use to tell us he went out with her for a short while Fudge

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Re Rose Fletcher.... she lived and run the band from Stockport Rd, between Birch St. and Pottinger St.
 Her husband was called Harry.,who worked at Jones sewing machines for a while.

Bob

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:45 AM »
Hi All...............If I am not mistaken, my sister was involved with the pipe band many years ago.
Her contact information is below.

;D ;D ;D Daftjack.

57 Hadfield Crescent, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 8HP
Telephone Number 0161 308 2882 Electronic Message Send a Message to Councillor Margaret Sidebottom
http://public.tameside.gov.uk/crm/Message.asp?hide=true&dept=MemberServices2&subject=Councillor+Margaret+Sidebottom&c=true

thea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 11:08 AM »
HI all
      I cant believe the help you have given me all i need to do now is figure out how i am related and that is easier said than done.it was only yesterday that my sister and i were discusing it.memories from the past and an awfull lot of myths to.my niece was a highland dancer when they lived in chorley and met someone from the band but she does not know who.

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:59 PM »
When I was at Ashton Grammar School in the late '50s/early '60s, there were twin sisters there who both belonged to Rose Fletcher`s Pipe Band. They were Annie and Lily Thacker.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Wow! Nan. You got in before me- as soon as I saw the header 'pipe bands' I remembered the Thacker twins. We had to learn Highland damcing in the Hall in gym lessons. Felt a complete idiot doing the sword dance in Aertex shirt and navy blue gym knickers! The twins performed on their bagpipes wearing tartan kilts and hats with a feather at the front.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

AnnieC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Hi to everyone on the Ashton-under-Lyne Forum.  I am a new member but have visited your site in the past.  I was a member of the Rose Fletcher Pipe Band for a number of years from about 1954 to the early 60.'s.
Rose Fletcher was married to Harry Mellor and had four children, Pauline, Jennifer, Janet and Ian.
Pauline married Owen Nash, and I think Janet's married name was Carter but don't know about the rest.
I believe there was a reunion of old members some eight or so years ago which was pictured in the Ashton/Tameside local papers.
I was brought up in Ashton and came to Australia in 1968. I would also like to catch up with any former members of the band from the early days.  My mum was a good friend of Lily Thacker the twins mother.
I lost touch with my good friend Pat Benison who was also in the band and would love to know where she is living.  The last time I saw her she had bought a boarding house in Blackpool, that would have been in 1978

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:40 PM »
I'm just about to come to the end of a paperback, "Finding Peggy" by Meg Henderson. The sub-title of "A true and shocking account of life in a Glasgow slum" will give you some idea of the themes which are largely about growing up amongst sadness (and a bit of badness) in post war Scotland. I was surprised to find, on page two hundred and seventeen, the author's description of her regular visits to the Cowal Highland Games in Dunoon and her recollection of seeing the Rose Fletcher Women's Pipe Band. She describes them as coming from Dagenham so, presumably, she's getting them mixed up with the Dagenham Girl Pipers. What of the book, did I hear you ask? Quite entertaining if a little drawn out. I got so confused as to who everybody in this blessed family was, I had to draw up a family tree and have it with me for easy reference. All these aunties, grannies, cousins, next door neighbours etc., it was the only way I could keep tabs on who they all were. Nowt funnier than folk.