Author Topic: Cockbrook - Hutton Ave  (Read 7250 times)

Mealey

• View Profile
Cockbrook - Hutton Ave
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:22 PM »
I am trying to trace the route of a culvert which runs through the playing fields of Ashton 6th form. From the historic maps it was a stream which ran through what is now Hutton Ave and appears to get to Samford Sq by the former Cockbrook School (now a restaurant). I'm not sure if this is actually Cockbrook itself or a tributary. IIf anyone can help me it would be graetly appreciated.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Cockbrook - Hutton Ave
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Cock Brook is the stream that flows through the Dingle in Stamford Park.
Martin

wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:33 PM »
That is interesting. I always assumed that the stream in question ran in the valley mid-way between Mellor Road and Thornfield Avenue and parallel to both. It ran in the open at that point but was in a culvert to the north running under the playing field of what was then the Grammar School (the new houses on the right hand side of Thornfield Avenue if you are looking uphill towards Darnton Road.

I lived on both Thornfield Avenue and Thornfield Grove and so I knew the area quite well. I cannot remember any surface water on Hutton Avenue or between Beaufort Road and the shops at Cockbrook proper.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 02:28 PM »
hi there is a culvert that runs through ashton to audenshaw its starts somewhere near hartshead pike down through hurst , union road which was known as hurst brook past charlestown station throuh ryecroft onto audenshaw i would love to see some culvert maps to confirm this  ;D

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 07:12 PM »
I think you are lumping two different culverted streams into one, Greeny!

The stream that starts near Hartshead Pike rises near Mossley Cross, runs through Knott Hill Reservoir and Greenhurst Clough, then Timperley Clough (now culverted under the Rugby Club) , past Gamber Hill Bank, through Downshaw Clough and Oaken Clough. It went through a culvert under the old canal at Daisy Nook, now where the car park is, and fed into the River Medlock near the garden centre. Just before Daisy Nook it was joined by the Smallshaw Brook which ran through Lyndhurst Clough and the clough behind Canon Burrows School where it became Taunton Brook, then past Taunton Platting at the end of Downing Street.

Hurst Brook started near the old Red School on Queens Road, ran parallel to Whiteacre Road and Holden Street to the back of the Canterbury Inn, where it met another brook that started near Nook Lane and ran between Kings Road and Smallshaw Lane then under what is now King George's Playing Fields. From there the combined brooks ran under Charlestown and Gatefield. It was then known as Shaw Brook and ran across the corner of the Moss, crossed under Manchester Road near Quicks garage, under Ryecroft Street where the road dips down, under what is now Oxford Park (where it was known as Jeremy Brook) into the River Tame. Hurst/Shaw/Jeremy Brook and its tributary are culverted throughout, as far as I can see.

You can see all these on the old maps on this site:
http://www.ashton-under-lyne.com/information/maps.htm#historic
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:36 PM »
I know a couple of Houses that Water runs under the 1st one is on the corner of Carlton Rd and Warwick Rd about 25 yrs ago aprox they had to go down in the foundations because they were being washed away and they were having a lot of problems with Water wetting their floor boards. The other house my friend lives in on Canterbury and the now have a special pump to take the water away from their cellar but at one time they had to go down and keep the water level low or if they left it for a few days the Water was nearly up to the top of the steps. Also the path Nr the Old People bungaloo's back of Emmanual Court a section there Collapsed in When they started to put it right there was water running through down the hole. They fixed it but it is starting to go again Now Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:11 AM »
Carlton Road would be close to Smallshaw Brook while Canterbury Street is close to Hurst Brook. It sounds as if water is escaping from the culverts and finding its way through the surrounding ground. I don't know where Emmanuel Court is.
Martin

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:29 AM »
We have a stream at the top of our grove,on the corner of Gambrel Bank Rd, the kids are always messing in it in the summer.
I used to live on Northumberland Avenue, and the semis to our right had a stream that still ran under their floor, I presume towards Oldham Rd.
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Martin Emmanuel Court is on the left hand side just before you get to the Old Ball coming up from Ashton the path is behind this between that and the Bungaloo's Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 12:03 PM »
hi thats where i went wrong martin running two culverts into one , i remeber the second one the best there was a house on ryecroft street a few years ago that was having its gable end redone when they came across the culvert that ran under there , it took loads of ready mix concrete to make ammends , also there was always water at the corner of alexandra road and turner lane at the side of the railway bridge no mater what weather it was it always trickled out , when it was frosty it use to be like a skating rink , i will have to have a look next time i go turner lane way and see if the water still trickles down ,thanks for the maps, boston pumps was not far from the culvert :D

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 02:25 PM »
I Greeny The place that the Water ran from was leavelled out for a drive as a Bungaloo was built up above. It is now use by Tameside Fudge

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 03:10 PM »
 Hurst Brook was the feed to the cotton mills reservoirs
 and it came out of the Barracks wall on Rose Hill rd

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Hurst Brook was the feed to the cotton mills reservoirs
 and it came out of the Barracks wall on Rose Hill rd

Ah - and then under what was Stamford School's grounds to the Red School, then as I described above? I was looking at that on the old map but couldn't be sure what happened east of Queens Road.
Martin

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:38 PM »
hi there was another place where water seeped out was on mosley road on the stone wll near the coal pit hill ,i ues to pass it every day i went to school there was always water there i think they have built a schoolon there now  :D

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 03:53 PM »
Greenhurst Clough, then Timperley Clough (now culverted under the Rugby Club) , past Gamber Hill Bank.
This was where the sand pit was,after the war lots of aircraft radio junk was tipped there as well as from a jam works,big stone jars broken,my brother cut his calf on one.As for the culvert,Light a fire put it on a raft an float it through and follow it,all the way through to Alt Road.Also climb up the cats ladders in the man holes to the top before the tops were put on.This was where I had my last cigarette,thank god,must have been about 8 or 9.
I hope Kiwi's really packed it in.