Author Topic: a walk in the past  (Read 6360 times)

greeny

• View Profile
a walk in the past
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:23 PM »
hi do you remember any of these   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCs7JI96e8&feature=related  :)

jaywit

• View Profile
Re: a walk in the past
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:18 PM »
A bit goosey after watching that!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Its frighting how much you remember from these video's Fudge

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Oh, my - yes!!  It gave me the shivers!  Near the end of the video there's a photo of Albemarle Street where I was born - the one with the falling-over iron post - and it made me feel really sad because of course it's no longer there.  It's now a parking lot overlooking the Railway Station.   :(  :'( :'(

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:41 PM »
There use to be a spiritulist Church on Albermarle Terrace Fudge

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:24 PM »
When and whereabouts on the Terrace was the Spiritualist Church, Fudge?
I don't ever remember Grandma saying anything about it (although I know she used to know a great lady Spiritualist, Mrs. Scholes at #1 West Street down by Charlestown Station as did I, myself, around 1945/46).  Grandma lived at #142 which is still there, and as far as I know all the Albemarle Terrace'd houses up until at least 1947 still had a dead end (the other end away from Henrietta Street), although you can get through at that end now.   Joyce  :)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:15 PM »
It was across the other side facing the Station about half way down Fudge

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:48 AM »
Hi
            There used to be a spiritulist church on Katherine st between Oldham rd and Cavendish st it had a door with big studs in it.                herby

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 06:17 PM »
hi joyce i think he was a medium .he read palms ,and did readings , i think he did it from is living room but i would not class it as a church

musky

• Now Living The Dream !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Eric Bray was a well known Spirtulist in Ashton about 30 years ago. He lived in a house on Stamford St near the old baths.
*****If Life Begin's At Forty That Makes Me A Teenager Again ****

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Eric Bray also lived bottom end of Hillgate, Before moving to Henry Sq Fudge

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 04:31 PM »
It was across the other side facing the Station about half way down Fudge

Hi Fudge - Aah!  That would have been the old Albemarle STREET (now demolished and is a parking lot facing the Station) and where I was born when we lived at #170 - I think a little further down away from Henrietta St.   ;D :)    Of course, Albemarle Terrace is still there, and also the other part of Albemarle Street which runs off Penny Meadow.   :)  It must have all been very confusing in the old days!  I suppose the house numbers was your clue as to where to find someone.  :)

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Hi Joyce,

I think in those days, house numbers didn't matter, everyone knew everyone else and doors were left open. So sad that freedom has now passed.  Nothing's personal anymore, now we're only numbers!!    Denise   :-\
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Hi Denise!  Yes - it's too bad those lovely old days of being neighbourly are over.  Even as a very little girl of about three, I always knew that a neighbour of ours on Albemarle Street had an "open door" policy - but don't know her real name as I always called her just "Lady"!!   As I remember them (and for some strange reason I always think of happy and sunny days) those Albemarle Street terraced houses facing the Station were lovely old places and we all had nice long front gardens with gates!  I wonder why they were let go to the point where they needed to be demolished?   I always feel so sad about that house being gone.  They were very nice inside too.  I just wish I had some old photos of the insides - but fortunately have one of my older brother standing at the front door with a Silver Cup he won at Sports.    :) ;D  I think my mum would more than likely remember it before we left to go to Glossop as the place where she had three sick kids at the same time with Whooping Cough all in beds brought down into the front room to save her steps!   :)

Ashtonian54

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 12:19 AM »
Hi Denise!  Yes - it's too bad those lovely old days of being neighbourly are over.  Even as a very little girl of about three, I always knew that a neighbour of ours on Albemarle Street had an "open door" policy - but don't know her real name as I always called her just "Lady"!!   As I remember them (and for some strange reason I always think of happy and sunny days) those Albemarle Street terraced houses facing the Station were lovely old places and we all had nice long front gardens with gates!  I wonder why they were let go to the point where they needed to be demolished?   I always feel so sad about that house being gone.  They were very nice inside too.  I just wish I had some old photos of the insides - but fortunately have one of my older brother standing at the front door with a Silver Cup he won at Sports.    :) ;D  I think my mum would more than likely remember it before we left to go to Glossop as the place where she had three sick kids at the same time with Whooping Cough all in beds brought down into the front room to save her steps!   :)

My mum had friend there.
Once you said long gardens, my memory kicked in and I recalled walking up the long garden. I'm almost sure it was the end house next to Henrietta St.

Further up just past Union St on Henrietta St was the Lithuanian lady my mum knew!
It's astonishing what I'm able to recall to the surprise of my siblings who remember nowt!