Author Topic: Ashton Grammar School Website  (Read 53096 times)

brian seward

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Grammar School Website
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15 AM »
Co-educational?? yes boys went in at the right side and girls the left. During the war, on the playground at the rear was a metal railing dividing the  ground and yes  Boys on the right and Girls to the left.  I think it would have remained like that forever, if not for the railings all around he school ground being taken down   to be melted down for the war effort, as were the First War Tanks in front of the War Memorial.   Just a memory for you...

Little Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Hi Meg. I still have my cap from the '50 s.

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 05:30 PM »
please can we have a photograph? you can send staight to my email address: gayjoliver@gmail.com and I'll try to get a photo on this site and on my Grammar School websites.  Meg and I have been searching forever for a picture of one..
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07 PM »
A photo would be great, little Mo...I need to show my children what indignities we had to endure!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Shaz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2015, 01:46 AM »
Wondering if anyone has a photo of the awful school caps that we Ashton grammar girls (yes, girls) had to wear.  They were like boys' caps but with a much larger peak....   My friends don't believe that we had to wear caps (this was early 60s) so photographic evidence required.  ;D
Hello, I just found the AGS website - never knew it existed otherwise I would have been here long ago!
Anyway - I can vouch for the girls 'jockey' caps at AGS - they became 'optional' at my first year at the school (1966).  The  same year, the girls' cap was replaced by a proper hat that I don't know the name of - a short round affair with a narrow upturned brim, similar to the Fairfield school hat which my sister wore and much more suitable for the girls.   The wearing of caps for boys didn't become 'optional' until the end of one's third year - and if a lad was caught without it would result in a warning, then lines, then detention, then a visit to Henry.  A second visit to Henry for the same offence might result in three strokes of the cane (boys only!)
My Mum taught at AGS from 1958 until 1965.
I'd rather be in Ashton

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Hi Gay, Are you the Gay Cullen who lived on Rydal Grove? If you are, m.y late brother Phil Heywood was a friend of your brother Billy.Tthe main reason for my call is to find out whether or not Miss Joyce Greenwood is still alive and if so is she contactable.I ,am Peter Heywood aka Prof and lived on Knowle Avenue I attended Ashton Grammar from 1956 to 1961.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 02:56 PM »
I will pass on your message to Gay. Gay does have a brother called Billy and she did live on Rydal Grove. If you have Facebook, there is a dedicated group for Ashton Grammar. M.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Bill Cullen was a friend of Phil and yes Miss Green wood is still alive but becoming very forgetful now. She is very elderly.

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Hi Meg, thanks for the info re Joyce Greenwood, sad that she is losing some memory, is she contactable?